Ie7 Vs. Ff

holyjunk

My teacher at school always talks about exploror this exploror that. I tell her and tell her that FF is better. But noooo now IE7 is out and is sooo much better. Want to help me out? I have been looking around and I just want some more help. Check out these links I have found.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1990854,00.asp
http://www.zimbra.com/blog/archives/2006/10/ie_7_a_better_b.html

~I just put this in General Chat because I thought I would get more hits this way. If need to be moved then that is fine.

Last edited:

holyjunk

i'd say IE7, you should've made a poll.

I want comparisons of the two. Like which one is better in terms of performance, secruity, etc..... I don't want a poll or just a opinion you might have that is not based on any reliable information.

PC eye

banned
The full version of IE 7 dusts off that comparison there. But only the beta version of the latest FireFox is out at the present moment. FireFox 1.5 does a good job at avoiding the adware/browser hijacker traps that IE 6 fell into easily.

Some traps still catch IE 7 to note here where you cannot hit the back button upon reaching certain shopping sites and return to the previous page you were at. FireFox 1.5 still prevails over that! :D

holyjunk

The full version of IE 7 dusts off that comparison there. But only the beta version of the latest FireFox is out at the present moment. FireFox 1.5 does a good job at avoiding the adware/browser hijacker traps that IE 6 fell into easily.

Some traps still catch IE 7 to note here where you cannot hit the back button upon reaching certain shopping sites and return to the previous page you were at. FireFox 1.5 still prevails over that! :D

Note that Firefox 2 is out and ready to use though! :)

Motoxrdude

Well, IE7 when viewing a website only makes one request while FF makes 3 by default per page. That is why it seems faster. You can also change the amount of requests per page FF makes too.

FF2 only came out today...and seeing as I've just upgraded to FF2 and IE7, I don't have much experience with either too much yet, but I kind of like IE7...the look and the way it...works...i guess. Don't really know how to describe it.

But I'm probably going to stick with Opera :D

SirKenin

banned
Well, IE7 when viewing a website only makes one request while FF makes 3 by default per page. That is why it seems faster. You can also change the amount of requests per page FF makes too.

Care to provide some evidence of that? Besides just a bold statement? Benchmarks prove you wrong, so I'm kind of curious.

SirKenin

banned

btw... I was doing some hunting for some stuff.. I noticed that there are quite a few bugs in the new FF beta that are being found and fixed.. Maybe hold off on it for a while.. Also, if you are interested, rather than just making random claims you can do your own benchmarks:

http://www.24fun.com/downloadcenter/benchjs/benchjs.html
http://wd-testnet.world-direct.at/mozilla/.../jsTimeTest.htm
http://www.numion.com/Stopwatch/

PC eye

banned
The one at the link there is no longer a beta version. That's the finished release. When running the RC2.0 that thing locked instantly when you tried to open anything. The full version is finally ready. Let's see if the bugs are worked out completely........... :eek: help??? :confused: before you get your hopes up. Now to get used to the slightly new appearance. It went right on to update 1.5 without a blink of the eye. :D

Last edited:

maroon1

IE6 was my worst browser.
But now after IE7, I would say it is my second second best browser.

IE7 has some better features than FF2.0 and vice versa, but I still like firefox more because it has spell checker, and extensions.

Now for me the worst browser is Opera, because it doesn't have any special feature over IE7 or FF2.0. IE7 and FF2.0 has all the features that opera has and more.
Also there is a lot of pages that doesn't render correctly in opera. So, I don't see any reason for anyone to use Opera.

PC eye

banned
I have a good one so far. In some ways it has a very similar look and feel as IE 7. They both have a distinctive feel from their predacessors. The large buttons seen on IE 6 are gone. FireFox 2.0 now has a bookmarks toolbar that you can display or hide. There is also a user bar. And the bookmarks can be seen in a columnn just like "favorites" in IE on the left hand side. Here's a screen. http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firefox20pq6.jpg

Here's one for IE 7. http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ie7uh2.jpg

maroon1

while on the topic, what is everyones impression of ff2

I can say FF2.0 is an excellent browser.
It is more stable for me than FF1.5, and it runs faster.

Here is the new features of FF2.0:

* New Windows installer using the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS)
* New anti-phishing features
* There are now several hidden options for how the tabs are displayed, and the close behavior is slightly different
* A history of recently closed tabs and the ability to reopen closed tabs
* Automatic restoration of the user's browsing session if there is a crash
* New default theme with new icons and a new tab bar design.
* Inline spell checking in text boxes and the ability to search in these areas.
* Search suggestions now appear in the search box auto-complete for Google and Yahoo!
* New search service that supports Sherlock and OpenSearch engines
* Combining the extensions and themes managers into an "Add-ons" manager, updating it to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions.
* New search plugin manager for removing and re-ordering search engines
* Improved support for previewing and subscribing to Web feeds (RSS and Atom)
* New microsummary feature for bookmarks
* Support for Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) text using svg:textPath
* Client-side session and persistent storage
*JavaScript 1.7

PC eye

banned
I can say FF2.0 is an excellent browser.
It is more stable for me than FF1.5, and it runs faster.

Here is the new features of FF2.0:

* New Windows installer using the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS)
* New anti-phishing features
* There are now several hidden options for how the tabs are displayed, and the close behavior is slightly different
* A history of recently closed tabs and the ability to reopen closed tabs
* Automatic restoration of the user's browsing session if there is a crash
* New default theme with new icons and a new tab bar design.
* Inline spell checking in text boxes and the ability to search in these areas.
* Search suggestions now appear in the search box auto-complete for Google and Yahoo!
* New search service that supports Sherlock and OpenSearch engines
* Combining the extensions and themes managers into an "Add-ons" manager, updating it to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions.
* New search plugin manager for removing and re-ordering search engines
* Improved support for previewing and subscribing to Web feeds (RSS and Atom)
* New microsummary feature for bookmarks
* Support for Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) text using svg:textPath
* Client-side session and persistent storage
*JavaScript 1.7

You got all that from the screen shots I posted? GRRREAT! :D I'm glad someone got some benefit there. Both IE and FireFox now have the anti-phising feature along with a built in popup blocker. And both are obviously Vista ready.