Increase Your Bandwidth By 20%

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey all,

Somthing i though i would share with you all....

Increase Your Bandwidth By 20%, It Really Works
Increase your Bandwidth by 20%
Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth! Get it back

A nice little tweak for XP. M*crosoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.
works on XP Pro, and 2000
other OS not tested.

its do-able only in xp pro.

Hope this helps.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well i tried it and ive had no problems,But yeah go ahead and wait to see what other people say.

My internet seems to have got faster too,Especialy downloads and i think its because of this.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Well i followed the steps and disabled it...i'll try to download something from an uncapped source once i have lunch :)

wicked859

banned
Im on xp home, so I cant try it but if im not mistaken, cant your isp get upset and ban you over raising it to high?

Arm_Pit

banned
wicked859 said:
Im on xp home, so I cant try it but if im not mistaken, cant your isp get upset and ban you over raising it to high?
No.....Basicly what they are saying is windos is makig you have less then your ISP is giving you anyways.

I am able to currently get more then my ISP package without doing this, and after I get the same speeds. about 5.5mbps

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
wicked859 said:

No thats uncapping your connection,In the uk this is higly illegal and you can be fined and sent to prison.
The tweak i said is for windows,It has nothing to do with messing around with your Isps limit,It doesnt change that.

I did it and it made a increase in performance and bandwith tests.

Well at least we know it works now,Even if its not a dramatic difference,A few is better than nothing ay?

Motoxrdude

Thats why my download speeds where a lot faster with Linux....
I did what you said and i am going to test it here in a sec.

4W4K3

VIP Member
This has been posted here before, granted a long time ago. It's not a significant boost, if any, but some people may notice a few "points" increase with speed tests.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning, you *can* do this in XP HE. You just need to manually install the GPE. There are actually quite a few *XP Pro only* things that can be done in XP HE with a bit of work.

As seen here - http://www.geocities.com/kilian0072002/GPEditHome.htm

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
monkeysims said:
I noticed a difference, thanks AMD.

No problem,I mean some people may see a differance,And some may not but anyway just thought i would share it with you all.

Its helped me anyways so....:D

thealmightyone

I should notice a difference, as when I calculated the speed I was downloading at, it was a bit smaller than what it SHOULD be.