installing RAM on my desktop problem...

tmcksmith

okay so i just bought some new RAM. i had a 64 MB chip and a 128 MB chip in my computer previously. I just purchased a 256MB chip. Naturally, I took out the 64 MB chip and replaced it with the new one. When I plugged everything back into my computer and turned it on, the inside of my computer just starts beeping and nothing else happens. So I turned it off and tried putting back in the 64MB chip where it was before and it's still doing the beeping thing, and my computer won't load. What's going on here?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Are you sure the RAM works with the motherbord? Some older boards might even have a 128MB slot limit

2. Did you reconnect everything tightly again? :)

tmcksmith

yeah i think that was the problem, one of the cards wasn't pushed in all the way. i'm on the computer now, so everything started up fine. do i have to do anything else? when i right click my computer it says -

Intel Pentium III Processor
797 MHz
384 MB of RAM

it says 384MB, so does that mean i did everything alright? is the computer reading the RAM okay?

tmcksmith

what are my what?

i guess i was just expecting more, because i remember a year ago when i just had 64MB and i added 128 MB i was amazed at how much faster it was. :rolleyes:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Specs? What stuff do you have inside your computer?

To determine your system specs; goto Start --> Run, Type dxdiag and click OK. Your CPU (processor), Memory and DirectX version is listed on the System tab. Your video card specifcations can be found under the Display tab under Name and Chip Type. Your soundcard is listed under the Sound tab in the Name field.