Internet on wireless network

Bobo

banned
I have a wireless network set up at home, with a Linksys wireless G router, and a Linksys wireless G adapter. My dad's computer is wired to the same router. There is no network setup between the computers, I just connect to the "linksys" signal that the router broadcasts. Until now, it has been fine. Then I was not able to get on the internet. I once got an error that said that the router was not assigning my computer a network address, but then it just stopped working without that error. My dad can still get on the internet, but I can't

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

timothyb89

the DHCP server on the Liksys WRT54G is disfunctional. My lap top is given a ramdon IP instead of one like 192.168.1.101

DCIScouts

VIP Member
My guess is that the wired portion of the router is corrupted or damaged in some way. Try to get it exchanged if you haven't had it that long, or just replace it...

EDIT: I meant wireless, I'm too tired, going to bed now...

Trizoy

VIP Member
timothyb89 said:
the DHCP server on the Liksys WRT54G is disfunctional. My lap top is given a ramdon IP instead of one like 192.168.1.101

Is the WRT54G your router BOBO?

Motoxrdude

yea i have the same problem. IT sucks, i dont know why either.
I am stuck with having to run a non encrypted wifi. IT sucks.

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
Trizoy said:
Is the WRT54G your router BOBO?
Yes.

Sorry I wasn't back in a while....but I can't get internet from my desktop. But I brought my (slow) lappy down and it can connect wired.

I was able to get into the router settings from my desktop, and yes DHCP is enabled

I don't care a whole lot about encryption, I just want it to work

Any suggestions? I really don't want to replace it

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
OK, I assumed that the problem was that the Linksys router's wirelessness was not working, and hooked up a D-Link DI-514 wireless router to the linksys router by an ethernet cable. I then disabled the wireless broadcasting on the Linksys router, and enabled it on the D-Link router.

I am able to connect to the internet wired to the D-Link router, but I cannot connect to the internet wirelessly. The network is connected, but the internet still doesn't work.

I am getting really pissed at my computers.

Is there something I need to change in the router settings? It seems to me that everything is set up right, if I can get on the internet wired to the DI-514. But then why can't I do so wirelessly?

I really don't know a whole lot about network settings, so any help would be most appreciated.

Tim

Bobo

banned
OK, so I had another thought. Could the problem be my wireless adapter? It is a D-Link Wireless G (whatever model they make). My desktop, whenever I told it to repair the wireless connection, it said that it couldn't disable the wireless adapter. My laptop does not say the same thing, thought. Is this pertinent in any way?

Please help me

Tim

Bobo

banned
Come on, guys (and girls, however few there may be). I know that somebody somewhere knows the answer to my problem. :(

Trizoy

VIP Member
Try uninstalling your wireless card, and installing it with the newest drivers, then pm me when you get that done.
Thx

Bobo

banned
I did reinstall the drivers multiple times, maybe I will do it another 20 or so and it will work. :rolleyes: But please keep the suggestions coming, I would love to have this working ASAP

@trizoy

pm sent

Trizoy

VIP Member
Are you letting windows manage your wireless signal? I personally dont like the software the manuf provides.

Bobo

banned
Trizoy said:
Are you letting windows manage your wireless signal? I personally dont like the software the manuf provides.
Yes, I am using Windows to manage it

On the D-Link software, it does not have its own program to do that, it just exports the job to windows. So I really have no choice.

I am able to connect to the network, and can get into both router settings from the desktop

apj101

VIP Member
i'm coming in late on this one, so forgive me if my ideas are not upto cratch.

I think that a summary of a few questions will help me or trizoy (or others for that matter) help you.
Firstly forget the D-Link DI-514. Just hook up the Lync sys router.
Dont re-enable the wireless just yet. (At this stage your house will not be wireless at all!)

Now goto your desktop, plug in the wireless adapater (which i'm assuming is usb). Wait for it to find the hardware... just a minute or two....

Then goto start menu -> run -> ncpa.cpl (this will load your network connections).

Find you wireless connection, should be easy to spot, right click and press properties. I'm not sure if your on sp1 or sp2 so i'll to accomodate both (but your prob on sp2).

1. Goto general tab, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), select it and press properties button.
2. Your now in the general tab of the TCP/IP properties, ensure that the option on this tab are
....a) Obtain an IP address automatically
....b) Obtain DNS server address automatically
3. Goto Altenative configuration tab, and ensure that it is selected "automatic private IP address"
(i know it may seem like i'm humouring you but lets all be sure we are starting on the same page)
4. Click ok
5. Know your back in the wireless properties page select the 'Wireless Networks' tab
6. In the bottom selection where it say Preferred Network, select any network that you have in there and press remove, continue untill you removed them all (there will prob only be on).
7. Click on the adavanced tab, and depending on your version (sp1 or sp2) turn of the windows firewall (in sp2 you may need to click settings, in sp1 just un check the option)
8. Click OK

Now go back to dads pc and log into you Lync sys router settings. (note while we are playing with the setting be sure to click save settings often before navigating between tabs)
Goto setup page
Ensure
1. Internet connection type is set to DCHP
2. Futher down the page ensure that Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) is set to enabled, and Starting IP Address is set to 192.168.1.100.
3. goto wireless tab
4. Ensure Wireless Network Mode, is set to mixed or g only, and Wireless SSID Broadcast is enables (you would have set this to disable earlier, so only now we are turning on the wireless network)
5. Goto the the wirelss MAC filter tab (it in the Wireless main tab you are already in), and ensure MAC filtering is not turned on.

Now lets move to the secuirty tab, dont worry about the firewall, or vpn tabs they wont effect us here. Click on the wireless security tab
Ensure that wireless security is disable (none)

Goto the access restrictions tab, the top drop down box should be empty, if there are any numbers in the tab drop down box this means that there are restictions in place, you should select them one by one and delete them

alright ensure yousaved all your setings (which you should have been doing anyway ;) ) and get back to your besktop.

goto start menu -> run -> ncpa.cpl (this will load your network connections).

Find you wireless connection right click and press "view available wireless networks"
Up pop the next box, now can you "see" your network (if not press refresh a few times (may need to press properties then refresh if you sp1) ), if you still cant see your network then tell me in your next post
If you can see your network you will not that it is not wep encrytpes (if sp1 click the check box to connect anyway then press connect, if sp2 click connect and then tell windows it;s ok to connect to the non encypted network.
Wait a while for it to connect.

once connected goto start menu -> run -> type "cmd" (excluding quotes) and press enter
then type
ipconfig

What is the ip address

try the internet, does it work?
if not go back to the cmd windows and type
ping www.google.com
note down the first few lines and tell me them

then try
ping 66.249.93.104

now we should have an idea of where you in the process.

Bobo

banned
Thanks for replying

apj101 said:
Ensure
1. Internet connection type is set to DCHP
If I do this, internet works neither on wireless or wired networks, only on PPPoe does it work on the wired computers
2. Futher down the page ensure that Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) is set to enabled, and Starting IP Address is set to 192.168.1.100.
It cannot be set to that, but it is on 192.168.2.100
Goto the access restrictions tab, the top drop down box should be empty, if there are any numbers in the tab drop down box this means that there are restictions in place, you should select them one by one and delete them
It will not allow me to do this. (there are 10) I can select them, and I hit the delete button, but nothing happens

What is the ip address

try the internet, does it work?
no :mad:
if not go back to the cmd windows and type
ping www.google.com
ping request could not find host

then try
ping 66.249.93.104
192.168.1.1: Destination host unavailable

now we should have an idea of where you in the process.
pissed at these stupid computers, that's where I am :D

apj101

VIP Member
If I do this, internet works neither on wireless or wired networks, only on PPPoe does it work on the wired computers
your absoultly right on that one, that was me missreading a screen shot of the setup page.

It will not allow me to do this. (there are 10) I can select them, and I hit the delete button, but nothing happens
hmm, it doubtfull its this but lets focus here for a second, i'm sure you know what this page is for and can read it there are restrictions in place, try clicking summary and deleting an active policies from there or try disabling all the policies.

now this is wierd, you ip is xxx.xxx.2.xxx yet your ping is trying to resolve the router on xxx.xxx.1.xxx? that should be. That model of lynksys router should be issuing ips in the range xxx.xxx.1.xxx

do this
upload a screen shot of the setup page (the one where you set the Network Address Server Settings, and internet setup)

also when you do ipconfig, what is the default gateway, and subnet. (and just check you posted the ip correct ;))

Bobo

banned
apj101 said:
your absoultly right on that one, that was me missreading a screen shot of the setup page.
oh, ok :)

hmm, it doubtfull its this but lets focus here for a second, i'm sure you know what this page is for and can read it there are restrictions in place, try clicking summary and deleting an active policies from there or try disabling all the policies.
Whenever I click delete on the page, a box comes up saying "delete the policy?" and I click ok, or yes, or whatever. The page refreshes, but it is still there, even if I click save settings. If I go into summary and select all of them to delete, it still does nothing.

And no, actually I don't really understand much of this. :eek: But let's worry about the problem at hand, first

now this is wierd, you ip is xxx.xxx.2.xxx yet your ping is trying to resolve the router on xxx.xxx.1.xxx? that should be. That model of lynksys router should be issuing ips in the range xxx.xxx.1.xxx
Well, it doesn't. Look at the screenie below, the starting ip address is 192.168.2.xxx. Unless you are referring to the actual router ip address? Should I change that to 192.168.1.xxx? Actually, I will just go ahead and try that and see if it works.

do this
upload a screen shot of the setup page (the one where you set the Network Address Server Settings, and internet setup)

also when you do ipconfig, what is the default gateway, and subnet. (and just check you posted the ip correct ;))
The ip is correct.

default gateway: 192.168.2.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Now I am beginning to see something....that maybe setting the router to have an ip address of xxx.xxx.1.xxx could fix this? Or am I way off? Like I said, I really don't understand any of these terms.

Bobo

banned
OK, I changed the router ip to 192.168.1.100, and at first I could not access internet, nor router settings or anything from the wired computer, but then I reset the router, and it works again (just not on the wireless 'puter) and the ip is what it should be (xxx.xxx.1.xxx)

So I went back up to the desktop, and "ipconfiged" and the ip address is 192.168.1.100 now.

I pinged google, no reply

I pinged the ip address you gave me earlier (I am too lazy to look it up, but it was 66.something or other) and it replied

Hope this helps you help me

Thanks

Tim

apj101

VIP Member
I pinged the ip address you gave me earlier (I am too lazy to look it up, but it was 66.something or other) and it replied
thats interesting the IP adress i gave you was google, looks like the names ares resolving now. if you type those numbers into your browser google may load, try that just for now

your screenshot is a little different from what i was expecting, but ok

you've changes some of the setting now, post another screeny if you get chance.

and as a premptive strike, type ipconfig /all into you cmd prompt and tell me what the dns server is set to (and default gateway and ip for good measure)