Is a Floppy Drive Needed??

Rambo

Hello....

I am putting a computer together with seperate components - all bought from eBay.

I have an old computer with a floppy drive in, but I can't get it out :mad: !

Its got screws on both sides, 2 on each. I can't access the panel which covers the 'back' of the mobo.... I can't take it out you see....

After about 1 & a 1/2 hours of trying and trying (this is about a 10 year old computer by the way), and my Mom saying "If at first you don't suceed..... bla bla bla....". I finally had enough and left the ******* thing alone before I got mad, lol.

So, I have resorted to not having a floppy drive for my new computer, but it just struck me that every computer I have ever seen has one :( This lead me to believe that every computer needs a floppy drive, but I'm not enitrely sure. So, can someone please say to me that a floppy drive isn't needed, or else I will have to buy that off eBay too, and the thought of spending more money makes me look like this ----> :eek:

Ok, thanks!

Greg J.

VIP Member
If you're building a new computer, then, in its BIOS, set the primary boot device as the CD drive in the boot-up sequence. That way, you can install your operating system. It's called booting from the CD drive. You'll be fine. :)

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
I Have To Disagree

Common, you are saying it's not needed. Well try using memtest for example without a floppy. One more thing, often the only way to transfer data from old computers without a burner or USB or priviledges to install drivers, is to use a floppy. Floppies will be here for quite a bit longer man.

JAN :D

SFR

Truth fears no questions
jancz3rt said:
One more thing, often the only way to transfer data from old computers without a burner or USB or priviledges to install drivers, is to use a floppy.

Crossover Cable.

Floppies will be here for quite a bit longer man.

I disagree. They are no longer a necessary component.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
If 3.5" floppies are obsolete, what about 5.25" floppies? And I still have a 5.25" floppy drive for just in case (it's not mounted in the computer case, but I can connect it in a couple of minutes when needed)... :)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
SFR said:
Crossover Cable.
And what would you do if that old computer doesn't have network adapter?
If there's no USB, no NIC, no CD-RW, no modem, no nothing on that computer, you can still take out the hdd and connect it to the other computer. But for a few small files it's easier to do it with a floppy.

smftexas86

I believe any computer self build or bought needs a floppy because, to many things still require a floppy. Believe it or not I bought me a brand new mouse which came with a floppy disk that included the setup software. Besides floppies are cheaper, then usb and almost any computer to date still has a FD so you should have it.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Lorand said:
And what would you do if that old computer doesn't have network adapter?
Lorand said:
If there's no USB, no NIC, no CD-RW, no modem, no nothing on that computer, you can still take out the hdd and connect it to the other computer. But for a few small files it's easier to do it with a floppy.

yeah yeah yeah...

I still believe that floppy's are a thing of the past. The trend of a floppy-less computer is beginning to take hold. So in a less than a decade a cd-r/rw will most likely be what floppies are today. I still have floppy drives in 4 of my comps and there is nothing wrong with having them but I have not had the need for a floppy in a long time.. I take that back.. my Lysol disk is a floppy and I used that about a month ago..... so there will always be an exception.. but for the general public floppies might be put out to pasture sooner rather than later.

calvinius

i bought a mitsumi floppy/card reader for my comp
i needed it to read my cards for my cameras and i thought the addition of a floppy would handy feature if needed
also being silver to match the comp is a nice touch too

robina_80

no floppys suck serious man there crap might aswell throw it in the trash
and BTW cd-rw and dvd-rw arnt going to take there places USB flash memory is...i think?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
robina_80 said:
no floppys suck serious man there crap might aswell throw it in the trash
and BTW cd-rw and dvd-rw arnt going to take there places USB flash memory is...i think?
dohhh.... Good point

Having two thumbdrives, one of which is right infront of me.. and I bring up cd/dvd -r/rw's???

my bad...

Picklee

i'd have to agree that floppies are becoming a thing of the past. Dell's making their new laptops without floppies R.I.P.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Picklee said:
i'd have to agree that floppies are becoming a thing of the past. Dell's making their new laptops without floppies R.I.P.

All of Dell's computers now can be configured to be floppy-less.

Lorand said:
Why using cds or thumbdrives when you got ftp (or e-mail for smaller files)?
because there are many situations when ftp wont work...

If you are in the IT world there is information you need handy no matter where you are. If I had to drive home every time I needed to ftp something to work... I would be traveling a few hundred miles a day....

For students in school... should they start their day by ftping their homework to the school server? ...guess that would eliminate the "my dog ate my homework last night"....

Not everyone has the internet... ..which still amazes me..

... come on Lorand! lol The reason for floppies and then cd-rw's and now thumbdrives are countless! The main reason I use ftp ... is ftping to a web or sql server.

Last edited:

robina_80

every computers got an USB port now... so usb memory is going to take over simple as
FLOPPYS NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SFR

Truth fears no questions
robina_80 said:
every computers got an USB port now i think... so usb memory is going to take over simple as that

First off, that is a huge assumption and you are wrong. Most likely (see that is not an absolute) new computers have USB ports... I do agree that thumbdrives and the like will take over where floppies and then zip/jazz drives left off...

I am still a little puzzled as to why Lorand brought up ftp'ing.... hmm....:confused:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I am still a little puzzled as to why Lorand brought up ftp'ing.... hmm....:confused:
Because it's free... :)
For about a year or two I no longer use floppies, cds, usb sticks (or whatever) for transporting files - simply upload and download them. I use the cd-rw only for making audio or video cds.
Don't you think that in the future web storage will be the best solution for store/copy/backup/share/etc files?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Lorand said:
Because it's free...
Lorand said:
For about a year or two I no longer use floppies, cds, usb sticks (or whatever) for transporting files - simply upload and download them. I use the cd-rw only for making audio or video cds.

Don't you think that in the future web storage will be the best solution for store/copy/backup/share/etc files?

That part I understand... who knows what I was thinking… (I think I was being facetious) anyway.. I do not want my private information or backups on a web storage site.. Nor do I want my information only accessible at the whim of that storage site.