Is it ever a good time to build/purchase?

skinnyman9000

I will hopefully be getting a budget of around £1000 ($2000) within the next few weeks in order to build myself a gaming system, not including the monitor, so it should be pretty good with my budget.

But my question is, when is a good time to start a build? I mean, the computer world is moving so fast that there is always something else 'just around the corner', which people want to wait for, but then when it arrives there is something else available in another 2 months etc etc.

[trs]ALUMINUM

Now is a good start because of the price cuts. But AMD will be releasing a quad and the new quads are comin too.

i recommend the qx6850 processor cause its the fastest processor ever

Schonza

[trs]ALUMINUM;732204 said:
Now is a good start because of the price cuts. But AMD will be releasing a quad and the new quads are comin too.

i recommend the qx6850 processor cause its the fastest processor ever

IF it's the fastest, it would be the most expensive, correct? Remember he has a budget, and perhaps this may be out of his reach.

To answer your question, the best time to build/upgrade, is when you see it is appropiate for you, and when your current system doesn't handle the tasks you do effeciently enough. Don't wait for things to come out, unless you need them for your daily activities. And remember, budgets are one thing, but you need to know what you are using your system for, that way you get the best value for money.

heyman421

banned
i'm waiting for a processor to come out that can handle vista flawlessly (faster than my p4 3.6 runs xp) and can play current games at max settings on top of that.

cheburns

He could still drop $1000 on a QX6700 and put together the rest of his rig for $1000 (which is totally doable and in his budget) and have a processor that won't get outdated soon and a solid system to compliment it.

cheburns

Yea the Q6600 is definitely the one to get for the price... I'm just saying its doable to build a 2000 dollar rig on a 1000 dollar processor and then it won't be outdated as fast as the Q6600 will be with technology changing so fast these days.

jimmymac

VIP Member
in a nutshell the answer is no....

No matter what you do you will see your system being beaten by something even faster and that you could have bought the same parts at half the price within no time!

Personally I say the best time to upgrade is when your system is simply not enough fior your needs anymore. Personally I was happy with my single core SCKT 939 setup for quite sometime but now that i stream media to my TV and browse the internet at the same time I found that I needed something more to cope.

Personally I have gone for the Q6600 which i think represents fantastic value for money to be fair, compiled that with a Gigabyte DS4, Radeon X1950XT and 2GB ddr2800.

The system is capable of doing just about anything around at the moment, I have streamed High def media whilst browsing the internet and burning audio. Not too shabby at all. Plus I have found it will happily run Oblivion at 1600x1200 with settings on high and 4xAA. Oblivion is still one of the most graphically demanding games so if its able to do that it should cope pretty well with anything else :)

Bluewind

Back to your question!, there never really is a best time to start because there will always be the next big thing only months away. your best to just leap in as soon as you have the cash, buy the best you can - see if you can get a good deal. that system should do you well for at least 4 - 5 years (with a little upgrading along the way).

zaroba

i'm waiting for a processor to come out that can handle vista flawlessly (faster than my p4 3.6 runs xp) and can play current games at max settings on top of that.

lol. get more ram and/or a better gpu instead of worrying about a cpu. a cpu wont make the games much better.
even if you have the worlds fastest cpu, if you only have 512mb of ram and an old slow GPU, your gaming will be terrible on vista.

vista + 5gb of ram + GeForce 7600GS + Core 2 Duo 1.8ghz = gaming with medium to high settings and 30+ fps.
same thing but with an 8800GTS instead = gaming with maxed out settings + modded to be MORE graphical, fluid graphics and 40+ fps

Legend 69

You wont need 5GB surely that would just be overkill, 2GB RAM, Quad Dual (Or Quad, if you can afford it) and a decent graphics card (Nvidia 8800 Possibly) is what i recon you'll need.