Is it the ethernet card or the RAM?

gmarluk

I have a Pentium 400Mhz processor with 128 MB of RAM (PC100/133Mhz) and Win 98 SE that we had connected to DSL and worked fine. Where we moved to has cable internet and required me to network it to my other computer. I used a D-link wired router and a D-link ethernet card.

The internet works fine, except everytime there is a large amount of multimedia - then the computer completely freezes up and requires a hard boot. I recently bought a new system so I just reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Win 98 in hopes this would solve the problem - which it didn't.
The other computer that's networked (which is a new Dell with 3 Ghz processor) works fine with the internet and the sites that makes the other computer freeze up.

So, the question is this......is D-link the problem and should I try Linksys instead? Or, is my RAM the problem now (although it never was when we had DSL) and do I need to replace it?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The other computer that's networked (which is a new Dell with 3 Ghz processor) works fine with the internet and the sites that makes the other computer freeze up.
Sounds like just an older machine choking out. Have a run through with the antivirus and spyware checks and outside of that I dunno :) Can you give an example of such a site? :)

is D-link the problem and should I try Linksys instead
Most likely not.

is my RAM the problem now (although it never was when we had DSL) and do I need to replace it?
Again i dont suspect it is. Regarding those sites, if you just leave it sitting there, does it EVENTUALLY work or does it actually crash? :)

gmarluk

Examples of sites are playhousedisney.com with lots of flash and shockwave stuff. I can do regular surfing without a problem. But when my daughter starts playing games, it just freezes up.

Again, the one variable that has changed is that we no longer have DSL (which worked) and now have a cable input with a network (which we didn't have before).

gmarluk

Sorry....didn't answer the question completely. When it "freezes", nothing responds (ie keyboard, mouse, etc). Should I just wait it out and see what happens?

gmarluk

Go figure. It was D-link. I switched my router and ethernet card to a Linksys, and it works fine.

Crazy.