Is thermal Grease Supposed to be applied like this?

Motoxrdude

Alright, heres my story,
I sold a motherboard on ebay. The guy who got it sent it back because of of a dead fan port. When i got it back it had thermal grease all over the board(it was appled everywhere except for the ports). i asked him why he did this and he said "for better cooling". Im just wondering one, should i refund him, and two, would this actually "cool" your mobo? Feel free to post your opinions and comments

4W4K3

VIP Member
Thermal paste does not get applied all over the board. For totally greasing up your board i would NOT refund him, he is either A) a retard or B) trying to mess with you.
Thermal paste should only be applied to the Northbridge and Southbridge if youhave any kind of cooling on them (which you should.) Otherwise, simple case fans and a cool ambient temperature houd cool your board efficiently enough.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Wouldn't that insulate it more than anything unless you had a heatsync on it?

LOL, Id love to see this. Could you post a piccy?

Motoxrdude

Yea i know its not suppose to go all over the board. Im just kinda in aww taht some guy could do that and seriously think it would help. Sorry i already cleaned it up best i could. Im just going to send it back to him and claim to paypal that he tampered with it, broke it, and try and get a refund.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Yup, good plan. Tell him before he buys another motherboard, know how to treat it when he gets it...because this is just unacceptable.

Motoxrdude

Yea im not going to sell him any more of mine. Yea i hate people like this, who dontk now what they are doing, do anything they want, break it, and try and return it. Plus its a waste of my time.

Dilly man 2

wtf?
all over the board!?

this type of stupidness needs pics!
dont refund this guy, if he just sent it back with the dead fan port it would be different

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
the closest ive seen to anything like that is someone emptying a whole tube of thermal compound onto the cpu.... the socket was covered with the stuff.
i really cant imagine what this guy was thinking by covering the motherboard with the stuff. i would have sent it back and told he's not getting a refund as a fine for being such an idiot.

Motoxrdude

Yea i shipped it out today back to him, and hes not getting a refund. He left his old cpu on there on accident so i decided to take it off. When i took it out that gap in between the cpu and the motherbaord was completely filled with thermal grease! There must have been at least one tube of thermal paste!

Ku-sama

banned
i hope it wasnt AS5, id cry, that craps expensive...... but if it was, you could take it all for your self :p

spacedude89

is thermal grease electrictly conductive? if so, that could have very well shorted out the fan socket and anything else.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
Nah, even if the grease contains metal it still doesn't conduct. it will be capacitive which will cause problems with any alternating signal as it has a smoothing effect on the wave

Motoxrdude

Yea i dont know what type it was. I just put the cpu back on because i dont want to decrease his "cooling" LOL waht and idiot(no offense to you idiots out there:)) though, it was eextremely messy too... Im going to give him a link to the amd video about how to properly apply thermal grease

krimson_king

what a dumbass

and i was just wondering, did you mean for your name to be Motorxdude? or did it kind of come out that way?

and you should have told him he just didnt put on enough and that it needs even more. all over the case.

34erd

Increase cooling ehh... I bet the guy who did it is someone from CF and is just sitting here going "Oh sh*t... now they think I'm a dumbass" :p

Can I get a pic of the mobo?