Is this a good deal?

Classic

Shuttle SK41G (case, motherboard, and power supply - packaged)
AMD 2400XP 2ghz
512 MB memory
ATI 8500DV 64MB Video Card (All in Wonder) W/TV record
TDK 4x DVD writer
floppy
120 GB hard drive

for $400

thanks for any help

Classic

I am by no means an expert, but I have gleaned this much (below)... I am waiting to hear back to get the rest of the info you asked for....

512mb pc2100 memory
120 gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache hard drive

This computer is coming from a customer of mine, he is also offering unlimited technical support. He also offered me a 15" LCD - KDS model RAD-5 Monitor for $150 extra.

thoughts? I really just want to get the most computer for my money....how do you think this computer compares to these deals?
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/outrageous_desktops?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Edit.....I got the info for the shuttle board and box etc....

SK41G

CHASSIS Dimension : (L)300*(W)200*(H)185, 2.85Kg (N.W.), 4.65Kg (G.W.)
Front Panel : USB * 2, Line-out/Headphone * 1, MIC * 1, 1394 * 1, SPDIF * 1
Back Panel : PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse * 1, Serial Port * 2, 1394 * 2, USB * 2, LAN * 1
Extension Bay : 5.25" * 1, 3.5" * 2

MAINBOARD FX41
Form Factor : Small Form Factor
CPU Socket : AMD Socket A, support 266/200MHz FSB CPU
Chipsets : North bridge-VIA KM266, South bridge-VIA 8235
Memory : Spoort DDR 266/200 * 2
On Board VGA : VIA Savage8, 8-32 MB VGA share memory
On Board Audio : Realtek ALC650 support 5.1 channel audio, Support Digital SPDIF In/Out
Expansion Slot : PCI * 1, AGP * 1
IDE interface : ATA-133

POWER 200W (PFC)

HOT FEATURES CPU temp. Autoguardian, Shuttle I.C.E. heat-pipe technology.

thanks again for all your help !!!

Last edited:

prodigio2k

dont take the monitor, just buy a 17inch CRT from newgg,or computer fairs, "google it "tri-state computer fairs". aight,the rest looks good ,but "2100" for ram,is so-so .. still it looks like a good investment

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
512mb pc2100 memory
120 gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache hard drive
RAM is obsolete, the drive is good :)

how do you think this computer compares to these deals?
I hate dell so my opinion is inheriently biased ;)

On Board VGA : VIA Savage8, 8-32 MB VGA share memory
As long as you dont intend to play games ... (btw what do you intend to do?)

Classic

It also has this video card:

ATI 8500DV 64MB Video Card (All in Wonder) W/TV record

If I decided to play a game once in a while would this work?

I just saw that compUSA has 512mb pc2700 for $49.99 after $50 rebate !! Should I replace memory with that?

Computer Uses:

My wife is a CPA and will be using the computer for TAX programs and book keeping. I own comic book stores and will be using it for Internet, some business programs (I have a P3 733mhz computer I use at work currently) etc... Also for burning DVD's and CD's and as a music storage server for my Tivos which will be networked with it. Also, eventually I would like to use it as a media server by adding a terabyte worth of hard drive space externally to store my movies. Also some photoshop stuff, writing programs, digital pictures etc...

Not liking Dell aside, how does this computer stand up to some of their deals that are in the same price range...

THANKS !!

Classic

Need your expert opinions

I have posted what I was planning on building for my new computer here a couple of days ago and got no response....I also posted on an HTPC forum and got a lot of feedback, but I would like some Gaming and Computer Experts to check out their suggestions and let me know if that is the way you think I should go.....here is a link to the thread....

http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9279&st=0

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
To save some money, definitely stay away from shuttles ... miniatuirizing everything cant be good for the budget.... of course it does save one the assembly (since most come preassembled). Thing is... what's the (intended) budget? :)

Classic

Actually I had proposed another computer build I was planning on doing here, but that post seems to be gone now.....I can re-post, but that's why I linked to the HTPC forum since I alread had it posted there with some new changes and suggestions from others.....

New budget it around $700 to $800

Thanks