is this a good gameing pc

manix

banned
is it

System Info Version: 2.2
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP
Processor: AMD ThoroughBred @ 1.33 GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
Total Physical Memory: 256 MB
Free Physical Memory: 66.98 MB
Motherboard Manufacturer:
Motherboard Model:

Manufacturer: AMD
Family: ThoroughBred
Internal Clock: 1.33 GHz
Internal Clock Maximum: 1.33 GHz
External Clock: 0 Hz
Socket Designation:
Type: <unknown>
Upgrade: <unknown>
Capabilities: MMX, CMov, RDTSC, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
Version: N/A
CPUID: 0x00000681

Description: Primary Display Driver
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
Total Local Video Memory: 64 MB
Total Local Texture Memory: 64 MB
Total AGP Memory: 63 MB
Display Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Display Driver Version: 6.14.10.5673
Driver WHQL Certified: Yes
Max Texture Width : 2048
Max Texture Height: 2048
Max User Clipping Planes: 0
Max Active Hardware Lights: 8
Max Texture Blending Stages: 8
Textures In Single Pass: 2
Vertex Shader Version: N/A
Pixel Shader Version: N/A
Max Vertex Blend Matrices: 0
Max Texture Coordinates: 8
Vendor ID: 0x10de
Device ID: 0x0110
Sub-System ID: 0x00000000
Revision: 0xb2

Total Physical Memory: 256 MB
Free Physical Memory: 66.98 MB
Total Pagefile Memory: 620.03 MB
Free Pagefile Memory: 257.68 MB

Manufacturer:
Model:
Version: N/A
BIOS Vendor: <unknown>
BIOS Version: AWARD - 42302e31
BIOS Release Date: 30/06/04
BIOS Properties:
Name: Maxtor 6E030L0
Manufacturer: (Standard disk drives)
Capacity: 28.63 GB
Model: Maxtor 6E030L0
Interface Type: IDE

Rambo

Well, it isn't what I'd expect in a gaming pc nowadays....

Your CPU, 1.33 Ghz, is... not one one of the higher end range of CPU's out there today. I'm building a Gaming PC for xmas, and I'd recommend at least perhaps a 2.0 Ghz one or more. The one I have is going to be an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0 Ghz 333Mhz FSB... That cost me £55 or so.... There is another option however, it is called OCing (overclocking). It is where you push the processor, or graphics card, or what you want to OC, to go over it's maximum performance and increase it's limit. So if you were to OC and AMD Athlon XP 2200+ which runs at a steady speed of 1.3 or 1.5 Ghz, you could easily OC it to 2.0 Ghz or more (i'm not an expert at this).... Note, if you do this, it ruins the warranty, lol, and it will increase the temperature of it. If the temperature goes too high, the rubbish bin will be saying hello to the CPU, lol.

Your Graphics card isn't exactly good either, if you want to be able to play games that are out in the shops now... I used to have that exact Card.... I bought a game called "Thief 3" (by the way, its a class game!) but it requires pixel shading like most games now do, and the MX 440 doesn't support Pixel shading. As soon as I found this out, I went and bought an nVidia FX5200 128 MB AGP TV OUT card, they are cheap and can run the games out now in the shops. If you're prepared to pay perhaps £70 - £80 or a little more, get the FX5700 instead, it is just a little better than the 5200. I hope you understand me so far lol, when I first came here, I couldn't understand anything anyone was telling me :p

You DEFINATELY want to get your RAM upgraded to 512MB. I would say that the two most important things for gaming is the RAM and the video card. If you give the specs of your motherboard here, someone will be able to tell you which RAM to get, that is if you're not sure. 256MB RAM is what you have now, and that is what microsoft say is the least you should have for running XP, so, if you want to play some decent games, upgrade your RAM soon lol.

Also, what is your motherboard? You might want to buy a new one which has an nForce chipset in it because they will provide decent gaming. The one I am buidling for gaming is an ASUS A7N8X-X which is very good for gaming, and I bought one very cheap off ebay, and it was UNUSED!! How cool is that? It cost me a total of £21 and including postage, £27. I think that was a steal!

If I saw correctly too, your HDD isn't very big (27 GB or something like that). You'll want perhaps a Maxtor 80 GB or more as a standard these days. I bought a 90GB Maxtor 7200 RPM 8MB cache, for £40. Good deal.

One last thing though, don't go out and buy everything I have just said, you want to wait until the experts have replied because that is when you will be getting top notch advice. Everything I have learnt about computers has been in the last month or so, and despite the fact that I'm 14, I'm already building one for Xmas lol! If you build one instead of buying one from a shop, it will save you TONS and TONS of cash. Mine totalled at £180 and at the minute, and is just as good as the ones in the shops.

Good luck mate!

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
Is this a good gaming PC?

AMD ThoroughBred 1.33 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
256 MB RAM
Maxtor 28.63 GB HDD

No, not even close. None of those components could possibly be part of a top end system. Very aged graphics card, probably without a pixel shader. Really the CPU should be Barton-core or better (going onto 64-bit if AMD). Based on the system I would presume the RAM is probably low-end 100/133Mhz type, if it's better it may be worth keeping on, but it probably isn't.

Sorry to say this, but this is a poor gaming PC :(

Rambo

No, not even close. None of those components could possibly be part of a top end system. Very aged graphics card, probably without a pixel shader. Really the CPU should be Barton-core or better (going onto 64-bit if AMD). Based on the system I would presume the RAM is probably low-end 100/133Mhz type, if it's better it may be worth keeping on, but it probably isn't.

I kind of agree with you.

I'd recommend building your own mate. It will last you alot longer than if you just upgrade that PC now. And in the long run, it will definately help when trying to tackle the best of PC Games out there.
Sorry, but I presume also that it is quite old. I'll make a guesstimate at about 3 years.

If you really want a decent Gaming PC, build one. That's the only way I think. That way, you can make it just to your liking.

Good luck!

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Just my cheap 2 cents:

I am always amazed at how complete sentences, correct spelling and grammar can make a conversation flow much easier than a conversation involving incomplete sentences, bad spelling and faulty grammar.

Pesmerga

manix said:
my falmaly comp that everone uses is a gaming comp its callid an alian pc

My family computer that everyone uses is a gaming computer, it's called an Alien PC.

I'm assuming that's AlienWare. And SFR, not everyone in the world knows perfect English.

speedyink

VIP Member
if your family computer is an AlienWare, then why dont use that for gaming? I would consider mine a bad gaming comp (mainly because its a compaq, lol). and mine has
athlon 2600+ 2.13ghz
512 mb Ram
120 gb hdd
128 mb geforce 5200 FX

Its still not great at newer games like "The Sims 2", or "Halo".

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
AMD ThoroughBred 1.33 GHz
Interesting. The First TBred came in a 1.47GHz.

No, not even close
LMAO well said.

probably without a pixel shader.
Quite correct m8

Really the CPU should be Barton-core or better (going onto 64-bit if AMD).
Well at least TBredB core (to include the Semprons).

no my home comp is a alian pc it
Sorry I dont speak stupid.

I am always amazed at how complete sentences, correct spelling and grammar can make a conversation flow much easier than a conversation involving incomplete sentences, bad spelling and faulty grammar.
Welcome to my world.

And SFR, not everyone in the world knows perfect English.
Granted that's true but theres acceptable english and then there's stupid english -- language barriers aside, you and I can both tell the difference.

if your family computer is an AlienWare, then why dont use that for gaming?
Cuz Alienware have old machines too :p