Is this a good gaming computer build?

William Norman

Hello all,

I'm plunging into building my first gaming computer and I've got my parts list together and I wanted to see what ya'll think. I don't do much hardcore gaming, but I would like to play games like The Forest, Subnautica, or even GTA 5 at at least 60fps and 1080p. Tell me what ya'll think!

PARTS:
AMD - FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI - 760GMA-P34(FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Asus - GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA - 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Thanks for the feedback!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JnChwV (part picker list link)

Hello all,

I've decided to invest and begin building my own gaming computer, but I wanted to hear the public's opinion on if it is a good build to run games like Battlefield 1, GTA V, and Fallout 4 at 1080p and around 60fps. Also, this build includes only 8GB of ram. Is that enough or do I need to bump that up to 16GB or 12GB? Thanks for the feedback. The parts list is attached below:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z66wvV

Last edited by a moderator:

Laquer Head

Definitely an old looking build... I'd expect those components on a machine someone was selling on ebay or used-section of the paper.

Is your budget $500 in US$ ? I'm sure we can come up with anything better than that..

Case is fine, power supply probably fine, ram is okay but I'd look at a 8gb x 2 kit (16GB total for gaming) You can go to a gtx1050ti and be better off then the 970 also..

I hate Kingston SSD's .. go with a Samsung for sure as well.

EDIT: okay if you already have the 970;; it is what it is..

Last edited:

William Norman

Definitely an old looking build... I'd expect those components on a machine someone was selling on ebay or used-section of the paper.

Is your budget $500 in US$ ? I'm sure we can come up with anything better than that..
It is around 500$, but I've already purchased the GeForce GTX 970 4GB Strix Video card so I can't change that on my build. What were you thinking changing or that looks outdated? Thanks!

Laquer Head

It is around 500$, but I've already purchased the GeForce GTX 970 4GB Strix Video card so I can't change that on my build. What were you thinking changing or that looks outdated? Thanks!
I just dont think buying last generation motherboards and cpu's makes sense in Q2 2017.

I suppose with a $500 budget you will be extremely restricted but perhaps @Darren could give some insight here in regards to AMD builds.

William Norman

The 6300 is fairly old at this point, you'd be better off investing in a newer platform such as socket 1151 for Intel (Skylake/KabyLake) or AM4 for AMD and Ryzen.
Would an i5 work? I think that'll give me the boost I need on this build without breaking the budget.

Laquer Head

I've used many i5 over the years, they are great for mid-range gaming for sure. I recently was running a 4th gen i5 and it worked very well.

Honestly though, in your budget.. an AM4 ryzen based system is probably best bet,

William Norman

The 6300 is fairly old at this point, you'd be better off investing in a newer platform such as socket 1151 for Intel (Skylake/KabyLake) or AM4 for AMD and Ryzen.
I was thinking maybe the
Intel Core i5 6500 3.20 GHz Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151, 6MB Cache BX80662I56500

Laquer Head

So would you suggest the i5 6500 3.2ghz for this build? Doesn't seem to be running too high.
I built a machine last year for a family member with this exact chip. She seems to like it, however she doesn't play a ton of games, and the ones she does are probably browser based or low-specced ones that dont require much processing juice anyhow.

How it would be for real gaming, I dont really know for sure.. but the PC itself is very quick and responsive with the tasks I did on it.

the 970 graphics board would probably be more the limitation as its several years old now.

William Norman

I built a machine last year for a family member with this exact chip. She seems to like it, however she doesn't play a ton of games, and the ones she does are probably browser based or low-specced ones that dont require much processing juice anyhow.

How it would be for real gaming, I dont really know for sure.. but the PC itself is very quick and responsive with the tasks I did on it.

the 970 graphics board would probably be more the limitation as its several years old now.
Okay I think I'll choose that one then. Oh, one more question. So with this build and that i5 GPU will I be able to run most games at 1080p and around 60fps. Not hardcore games, but games that are well optimized like Fallout 4, Skyrim, and The Witcher 3?
Thanks again for all the help man!

Laquer Head

Okay I think I'll choose that one then. Oh, one more question. So with this build and that i5 GPU will I be able to run most games at 1080p and around 60fps. Not hardcore games, but games that are well optimized like Fallout 4, Skyrim, and The Witcher 3?
Thanks again for all the help man!

Fallout4 and Skyrim are title that dont need a ton of kick,, so I dont forsee problem running those at good frame rates and higher toggled options..

Witcher 3 is fairly demanding game, you may find yourself limited with how far you can push it. You can get 60fps, but you'll be playing around with the other settings a bit. I played Witcher3, by far, the most of those 3 titles mentioned, however my CPU was an unlocked/overclocked/water cooled 4th gen i5, and paired with 16GB of RAM, and a GTX1080 so a completely unfair comparison...I was also running it well above 1080p res.

Laquer Head

The gtx 970 in witcher 3 at ultra settings in 1080p will probably yield around 40fps average.

If he's lucky.. with only 8GB ram.. no possibility to OC.. I dunnnnnoo..

Witcher 3 is an incredible game and can play/look flipping mindblowing.. but it takes good hardware to really push it.