lack of performance increase

csnudelman

A couple weeks ago I had an upgrade done to my computer. This involved replacing the CPU and mother board. My previous CPU was an AMD XP2200+ which is designed to run at 1800MHz, however, I ran it at 1500MHz to increase stability. My new CPU is an AMD XP3000+ which is running at it's normal speed of 2170MHz. My previous FSB was 133MHz which I ran at 100MHz, again for added stability. My new FSB speed is 400MHz. I am using the same 768MB of DDR 400 RAM.

I have noticed very little if any 'real world' performance increase in the operation of my programs, most notability PhotoShop. I think I will add another 512MB strip to my RAM and see what happens, however, I understand this would probability not make a noticeable difference.

Any ideas why I have not experienced the performance increase I was expecting?

thanks, Craig :confused:

Last edited:

alienationware

I dunno

My AMD-based PC with 512MB ram still gives me the occasional "Low virtual memory message" when I near running out of hard drive space. I doubt upgrading my PC to 1G ram will avert this message.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
however, I ran it at 1500MHz to increase stability
If its designed to handle 1.8Ghz then running it at 1.5Ghz wont "increase" stability.

My previous FSB was 133MHz which I ran at 100MHz, again for added stability. My new FSB speed is 400MHz
Ok there's a DDR mixup there ... you're old FSB was 133/100 and your old BUS speed was 266/200. Your new FSB is 200 and the BUS Speed is 400

I have noticed very little if any 'real world' performance increase in the operation of my programs, most notability PhotoShop. I think I will add another 512MB strip to my RAM and see what happens, however, I understand this would probability not make a noticeable difference.
The memory will definitely help

Any ideas why I have not experienced the performance increase I was expecting?
How are you judging perfomance increases? :)

My AMD-based PC with 512MB ram still gives me the occasional "Low virtual memory message" when I near running out of hard drive space. I doubt upgrading my PC to 1G ram will avert this message.
It'll definitely help but if you're running out of space you should probably consider hardlining the vmem and PSP swap space