Log on

bleedthedream

I was wondering if it is possible to log onto a computer from anywhere as long as both are on the internet and I have like the computer's name. Like I need to help a friend with computer problems in another city. Is this possible?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering if it is possible to log onto a computer from anywhere as long as both are on the internet and I have like the computer's name. Like I need to help a friend with computer problems in another city. Is this possible?
WindowsXP remote asistsance is a good start. Also, stuff like PC Anyware and the like are good programs if this becomes a regular event :)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Praetor said:
WindowsXP remote asistsance is a good start. Also, stuff like PC Anyware and the like are good programs if this becomes a regular event

I second that.

I have used remote assistance many times.

You can connect through windows messenger or an email service like msn or hotmail. Or you can start it through START > All Programs > Accessories > Remote Assistance

Blade said:
try using remote assistance from MSN. I don’t think that it is actually possible though

Why wouldn’t it be?

Blade

oh sorry, i meant logging on to one system from somewhere else as is asked in the first post. i was saying to use remote assistance and as an after thought i dont think logging on from a distance is possible...if i make any sense.

I have used PC anywhere, just make sure that the other person isnt a noob and do stuff to your files or visa versa

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
oh sorry, I meant logging on to one system from somewhere else as is asked in the first post.
Even still ... why wouldnt that be possible? THats what remote desktop and PCAnywehre etc are for (and telnet/ssh etc)

Blade

the way i understand his question, he is logging on to his computer as a different user, for whom he knows the password...eg. i log onto my computer as

user: Praetor
password: im_too_sexy_for_shirt

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
im_too_sexy_for_shirt
how'd you guess? ;)

regardless, any of this is still possible . . if you have a login, you have a passward and the the account is setup on the destination computer, its all doable. of coruse complications like routing, firewalls and virii can make things a bit hard