LOL: new meaning to "water cooled CPU"

kb1ghc

i got kinda bored, and overclocked an old P1 150mhz to 166mhz (old school style, with the jumpers and stuff) and then i got really bored and "watercooled" my CPU!

cheapwatercooling.JPG

(sorry for the lousy picture, my camera doesn't take good close up shots)

(and yes, that is water on the processor and motherboard), and i was suprised at how long that it kept running redhat9, it booted, got all the way into login screen (and it takes a while at 166mhz), as soon as i tryed to login the screen went blank.

also, the water in my area is pretty conductive, so i'm suprised it was able to handle it.

and after wiping up all the water from the motherboard, it continues to work.

kb1ghc

the computer stayed on for quite a while, i was actually able to boot redhat before it crashed (and on a 166 mhz machine, it takes a while to boot redhat)

4W4K3

VIP Member
make a copper container that will hold water and stick it on the processor, then see how long you can run it before the water starts boiling. always wanted to do that. if only i had a small enough copper pot i would try it...but mine are all huge.

kb1ghc

if you notice in that video, the original clock speed of the CPU is sensored, thats because intel gave them a 3.6Ghz chip that hasn't been released yet.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i never liked tom's hardware...
Second that. They do a good job but too many morons quote THG without using their heads. (then again a lot of people dont use their head to start with)