Low microphone sound

valterg

Low microphone sound in P5AD2 motherboard

Hello,

I'm posting this question about a very, very low microphone sound when recording on my ASUS's P5AD2 Premium motherboard onboard sound device.

Everything about the sound from videos, CDs, DVDs, etc is fine. The problem appears only when I try to record my own voice from external microphone.

Even with the microphone sound controls from Windows in the maximum values, the recorded sound is innaceptable low.

I did try to record with two different Plantronics headset that works perfectly in others computers. I tryied also with a "generic" microphone, and the result was the same: a recorded sound almost inaudible, even with the maximum adjust settings.

I also downloaded the latest sound driver from ASUS website, with no results.

The P5AD2 Premium motherboard have the XEAR 3D as a 3D audio engine, the CMI 9880 as audio codec, the audio driver version is 5.12.01.0007.30 and the audio controller is High Definition Audio and C-Media Rear Panel Audio as a default device for sound recording.

I'm using the Windows XP PRO with the latest update and DirectX 9c.

Any help will be welcome.

Thank you very much

Valter - Brazil

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I did try to record with two different Plantronics headset that works perfectly in others computers
If you're using USB headsets, make sure you select them as default recording devices in Control Panel --> Sound otherwise those volume controls are meaningless

valterg

Praetor said:
If you're using USB headsets, make sure you select them as default recording devices in Control Panel --> Sound otherwise those volume controls are meaningless

Hello,

No, my headsets are not USB. They plug directly in the traditional jacks.

Thanks

Valter

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Where can I find this option?
1 Open the volume control thingy
2. Options --> Advanced Controls
3. Click Advanced under Microphone and enable the 20db boost

valterg

Praetor said:
1 Open the volume control thingy
2. Options --> Advanced Controls
3. Click Advanced under Microphone and enable the 20db boost

Hi,

I followed your instructions, but there is no microphone booster or something else in the advanced microphone volume control settings, only a "monitoring" check box.

To avoid mistakes, I triple checked the path.

Do you have any idea why it's occuring?

Thank again

Valter

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Do you have a file with name MIXER.EXE? If yes, then there could be that boost option.

valterg

Is there a third party utility or software (freeware, shareware or payware) that could enhance or boost the microphone performance, that integrate completely in Windows XP and CMedia drivers?

Valter

valterg

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I recommended this utility for testing purposes only. If it can record from microphone at a proper audio level then it must be a setting somewhere in your system that will let you normally use the microphone in any program.

Castor

I have exactly the same problem and specs.I've also seen some new things about it.

I had a previous PC with a SOundblaster live! 1024 and it had the +20Db boost, this inboard C-media soundcard only has the monitoring that was refered.
I also see that as very strange because all my friends have te 20Db audio bost, I believe the problem is in the drivers but I can't find any more recent or better.

I also have the low mic sound and I've also seen that the recording properties in the sound properties are very little, I only have SPIDF in; Microphone; CD player; and Line in. No Wave no Line Out and nothing else.

On all previous sound cards I had there where a lot more options. I also have a quadrophonic sound system and can't listen music with the rear speakers eventhough the Xear 3d software detects and makes the sound test correctly. All drivers are updated and most recent.

Castor

The problem is not in the michropone nor in the sound properties, I'm almost 100% sure the problem is in the drivers, I used the Motherboard Cd to install mine and then went to the website to get the most recent ones and the problem maintained.

I was able to detect this because I wACanted to record soundcard audio with
ACE-High MPEG recorder and he wasnt being able too, and I saw the recording options were a lot smaller than the usual soundcard record options. I can't understand if the sound card is a lot worst than what it seems or if the Drivers are really that bad.... Please help

Triad

This may help

OK a friend just got this board and he was on Teamspeak and the mic was very low so we had a look into it and he updated his Directx to 9.0c. He rebooted when it asked came back on and hay presto it was working fine!

Hope this sorts some of you out

bobal

valterg said:
Hello,

I'm posting this question about a very, very low microphone sound when recording on my ASUS's P5AD2 Premium motherboard onboard sound device.

Everything about the sound from videos, CDs, DVDs, etc is fine. The problem appears only when I try to record my own voice from external microphone.

Even with the microphone sound controls from Windows in the maximum values, the recorded sound is innaceptable low.

I did try to record with two different Plantronics headset that works perfectly in others computers. I tryied also with a "generic" microphone, and the result was the same: a recorded sound almost inaudible, even with the maximum adjust settings.

I also downloaded the latest sound driver from ASUS website, with no results.

The P5AD2 Premium motherboard have the XEAR 3D as a 3D audio engine, the CMI 9880 as audio codec, the audio driver version is 5.12.01.0007.30 and the audio controller is High Definition Audio and C-Media Rear Panel Audio as a default device for sound recording.

I'm using the Windows XP PRO with the latest update and DirectX 9c.

Any help will be welcome.

Thank you very much

Valter - Brazil

So ? do enybody have a solution for this problem ?

Nef

I also experience this problem :(
It's kind of weird. I have the deluxe version of that mainboard.
If someone knows the solution, or finds it out, let me know please. I hope this is not a hardware problem :/