Low Signal Strength and Speed

JrDave2324

I just got the Linksys Wireless G Router and Wireless G PCI Desktop Card. I've got everything up and running, but very slowly. My signal strength is usually "Low", but keeps going back and forth never reaching "Excellent". My speed never hits the 54 Mbps, right now its around 11 Mbps. If no one is on the other computer surfing the web i can maybe get 36 Mbps. Is there any tricks of wireless networking you guys can share so i can get some decent results?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My speed never hits the 54 Mbps
Odds are you never will because of (a) theory-vs-practical and (b) 802.11G was designed with 802.11B in mind so you will be limited by that (have a look at the 54Mbit 802.11A devices and you'll note that they perform consistantly, if not not-so-significantly higher) :)

right now its around 11 Mbps. If no one is on the other computer surfing the web I can maybe get 36 Mbps. Is there any tricks of wireless networking you guys can share so I can get some decent results?
What other wireless devices do you have? Is there anything that might be interfeering with reception (including florescent lighting)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well florescent lights will interfere with wireless (if i recall correctly they operate at 2.395Ghz-2.405Ghz which will conflict with 2.4Ghz which your wireless runs on) ... any luck when you turn the lights off?

JrDave2324

nah it didnt make a difference....ah well, i guess my uncle made the point when he told me that my cable connection doesnt even run that fast anyways, so its nothin to really worry about

thanks for your help though

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
nah it didnt make a difference....ah well, I guess my uncle made the point when he told me that my cable connection doesnt even run that fast anyways, so its nothin to really worry about
Your cable doesnt go that fast but it will be a dampener on your home network if you ever decide to make one :)

JrDave2324

yeah, well i leave for college in less than a month so im not too worried about that....as long as it stays connected ill be happy

JrDave2324

oh, and one more question....

i have my computer set to turn off the hard disks after 30 min. and standby in 45 min., does that disconnect the network?

ok maybe two more questions...is there a way to make the network automatically reconnect if the connection is lost?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i have my computer set to turn off the hard disks after 30 min. and standby in 45 min., does that disconnect the network?
Shouldnt as long as you disable the option to "turn off NIC to conserv power" or something like that

ok maybe two more questions...is there a way to make the network automatically reconnect if the connection is lost?
Windows should do that automatically.

JrDave2324

Well, i took the liberty of contacting Linksys just to make sure and asked the same question. They told me that the drivers for the wireless stuff is dependent on the operating system, and when it is in standy the drivers are not run by the operating system so the connection is lost. So there is no way to keep the connection when in standby apparently.