MAC vs. PC (when will the hurting stop!)

What's your "flava," MAC or PC

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JSchaefer

Hello all!

I am new to this forum (but far from new to Computers, both Mac & PC. I enjoy long walks on the beach and sunflo... sorry... this isn't about me, is it? Anyways, onto my point! As many (slash ALL) of us have experienced, there is an on going battle between what is better, PC or Mac. I have my opinion (mac) and eveyone has theirs (pc, lol). I would like to take this opportunity to open the forum to everyone for a nice little debate as to what is better. I ask only one thing; use true & validated facts AND DON'T GET TOO HEATED OR ANGRY! I would like this thread to be one for people to use as a reference to help guide them in THEIR PERSONAL choice as to what is better (cause in the end, it is personal choice!). So enjoy!

-Justin!

cancer10

banned
First of all u r a complete moron. PC stands for Personal Computers, and Mac (Macintosh) are classified under PCs. So there is a complete diff.

JSchaefer

Who's the idiot?

Well well well...

We have a neighbourhood moron abroad! Welcome dumb ass. All of those who are "into" computers understand exactly what I mean. Also, they are OFFICIALLY considered as the two different types. Just check computer software/ game boxes. They classify whether or not they are for PC, Mac or Windows, etc. So shut up and try not talking what you don't know... sound good? Stop trying to start shit!

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
WOW! Usually in a MAC/PC debate the words "moron" and "dumbass" appears after running out of facts... :)
So let's stick to the facts.

Why don't buy a MAC? Because it's overpriced, not so stable, performace isn't very good, lack of software, etc.
But I hate MACs mostly because their graphical interface is very outdated. The MAC adopted the Xerox GUI and it remained almost unmodified since the beginning. Just look at the evolution of Windows: there were major changes from version to version and the Windows got very ergonomic and customizable. MACs stucked with the same rudimentary GUI until Panther OS. But the Panther's graphical interface is, in fact, a KDE for Linux, since the new MacOS is based on Linux...

djjimmy2k2

i just finished a 2 year graphic design course at college and in those 2 years i had the pleasure of working with both MACs and PCs and i gotta give my vote to the PC. its probably just because i was using a PC for so long before i even touched a MAC that i had to start with trying to find out how it worked. and some things about the MAC i just find annoying:

the ones i worked on i think were OS X, and they had 2 toolbars, the usual MAC one on the top and then another on the bottom with the program icons in and that just annoyed me cos with windows you have just one toolbar for everything and when your using it for design work, the more screen space the better.

another thing that annoys me about MACs is that i could never find whjat i wanted to. we had a few MACs that didnt have the program toolbar on the bottom and on those i could never find the program to open it. with windows everything is sorted into a program folder in the start menu but i dont think that MACs have adopted that feature.

and lastly, the MACs always seemed to crash on me. granted, PCs do it just as often (maybe even more) but i just find PCs to handle easier when they do (again maybe its just that ive been using them longer). when the MAC crashed and it restarted it always seemed to take a lifetime to reload the OS, whereas on a PC i find it does it quicker.

well there you are, the reasons my vote goes to the PC, maybe a couple of them are stupid reasons but oh well, gotta justify my choice somehow. all we need now is a PC OS that dont crash as much (and maybe if i had a PC that wasnt dying that might help, lol).

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
First of all u r a complete moron
WTF is this -- STFU. You dont like the guy, fine -- dont be bringing that flaming shit here. This is your final warning.

Regarding the Mac/PC debates, Macs have an advantage in one area (well ... it used to be three but its kinda dropped off as PCs have started to catch up): audio production/manipulation (the other two were desktop publishing and serious graphics -- note that i didnt say enthusiast graphics)

Of course with the progress PCs have undergone, the advantage in video encoding and such has really been dropped (especially with something like CCE vs whatever Macs have).

cancer10

banned
Praetor said:
WTF is this -- STFU. You dont like the guy, fine -- dont be bringing that flaming shit here. This is your final warning.

Regarding the Mac/PC debates, Macs have an advantage in one area (well ... it used to be three but its kinda dropped off as PCs have started to catch up): audio production/manipulation (the other two were desktop publishing and serious graphics -- note that i didnt say enthusiast graphics)

Of course with the progress PCs have undergone, the advantage in video encoding and such has really been dropped (especially with something like CCE vs whatever Macs have).

heh, Did u said Final Warning? well, when u say words like "shit", "WTF" then there is no harm in it coz u r the admin and when a member says a word "moron" u give him a Final Warning. OMG! u r so biased.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
You can say shit, wtf, etc. in a general way, referring to hardware, software or to something in a general way, but not referring to a person.
So NEVER insult another forum member. That's rude and we don't want that attitude around here.

Hylian

cancer10 said:
heh, Did u said Final Warning? well, when u say words like "shit", "WTF" then there is no harm in it coz u r the admin and when a member says a word "moron" u give him a Final Warning. OMG! u r so biased.

That made me laugh. Not because I think it's true or not, yet for very obvious reasons

But anyways...

I prefer PC. Only used a Mac once to play "SimAnt" years ago at a relative's house. From what I read about Mac -- It gets confusing, with people saying the graphics suck, to people saying it's better for video editing/design than a PC :confused:

Mind you a lot of those feelings are based on outdated information, yet Mac hasn't really done much to increase it's third party software development

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I think the worst effect of a Mac is that it lowers the user’s IQ.
Here’s an example: consider a lineart bitmap with closed outline that must be placed on a coloured background in QuarkXpress, but the colour inside the contour must be white. Every time I open a Quark file created on a Mac that have such an image I’m surprised: below that image there’s a white freehand picture box! What’s wrong with Mac-users? They have so much fun redrawing the outline? A PC-user never gonna do that, because he uses his head before his mouse...

4W4K3

VIP Member
wow...i must say you are ALL immature for arguing about this. its an online forum...dont get your panties in a bunch about it. i vote PC...because i never used a MAC therefore i never have NEEDED a mac..so why would i vote for it? i hope Praetor cleans this out...cuz you kids ruined this thread. at least our mod can keep his comments within bounds and relate them to the RULES! he has no restrictions when it comes to pricks coming here to flame...you do. so watch your mouth. if he thinks its necessary to use letters (not actual swearing really) to make you be quiet then he can, computerforum gave him that right by selecting him as a mod/admin w/e. im jsut an ordinary member and have no power...but i would stand behind Praetor on this if you've got any brains.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Cancer10 said:
First of all u r a complete moron
If you wanna start pointing fingers start at yourself. If you read his response,
JSchaefer said:
I would like to take this opportunity to open the forum to everyone for a nice little debate as to what is better. I ask only one thing; use true & validated facts AND DON'T GET TOO HEATED OR ANGRY! I would like this thread to be one for people to use as a reference to help guide them in THEIR PERSONAL choice as to what is better (cause in the end, it is personal choice!).
You'd realize that he's not trying to (a) be an asshole, (b) be a Mactivist (c) start a war. He stated quite clearly that we should all have a lively, fun debate. YOU call HIM a moron -- for damn near no reason.

PC stands for Personal Computers
It can also stand for particle canon, Peterson Creek and protective custody -- what's your point? :p

and Mac (Macintosh) are classified under PCs
If you're so bloody bright you'd have realized his INTENT and not gotten all anal on the semantics (and believe me I know all about anal retentiveness -- work term reports do that for ya).

So there is a complete diff.
If macs are a subset of Pcs then when you say "PC" you can also mean "Mac"..... if you can use either the work "PC" or the word "Mac" to represent "Mac" -- then how the hell is there a difference.

not so stable
Highly debateable. Whether their code is stable or not thats up for dispute but for certain their architecture, being proprietory as such allows for an extrenely rock solid design/implementation.

performace isn't very good
As much as I hate macs -- there's a reason they've been used in desktop publishing and graphics and such -- performance. Of course, PCs have and will continue close that gap as well as surpass the Mac products.

Just look at the evolution of Windows: there were major changes from version to version and the Windows got very ergonomic and customizable
But if you look at the underlying code its very poorly done -- for one reason: legacy support.

another thing that annoys me about MACs is that I could never find whjat I wanted to.
I agree wholeheartedly although a Mac user could probably say the same thing about PCs.

Yeah maybe I was a bit harsh. I'll live with myself. If you had said something along the lines of "Macs are personal computers and thus 'PCs'" and even been anal retentive about it, that would have been fine and im sure nobody would get their toes stepped on.

well, when u say words like "shit", "WTF" then there is no harm in it coz u r the admin and when a member says a word "moron" u give him a Final Warning.
1. Thats right. Not just am I an Admin here which damn near makes me the law, but if you read through (a) all my posts (b) the above crap where I defended a Mac -- which I hate -- you'll note one thing (unless you're totally oblivious): i'm open minded and provided there isnt any stupidity, company-bashing or user-bashing then damn near anything goes.
2. For some dude who's got 16 posts and barely knows the forum you're quite quick to snap at people you barely know.

if he thinks its necessary to use letters (not actual swearing really) to make you be quiet then he can
It is important to note that (a) I dont let power get to my head (well I try not to) and (b) there's always another admin you can complain to if you dont think I was fair ...now of course if you run to him and say "This ****en admin banned me... he's a ****en asshole!" ... that's not gonna get you very far.

OMG! u r so biased
Read my posts -- all of them. Then you'll see how biased I am.
- Ive defended Intel systems over potentially better A64 systems (and im an AMD guy)
- Ive defended IE (only because of the serious potential for IE-bashing, founded or not)
- Ive defended the 9800 (until i checked out the prices for the 5900 and 6800 -- and i hate ATi)
- Ive defended the 9600 (and randomly do even though mostly i think the 5700 is cheaper)
- I just defended Macs -- and i hate them
So if you're gonna call me biased -- make sure you get your facts right. This thread was made in an attempt to have a civilized and fun debate -- and it WILL remain like that until another Mod/Admin sees otherwise. Naturally you are not denied appeals and there have been the occasional times where ive gone back and undone things -- once twice (and you wont find them here). This forum is a "friendly" place yet we have our share of assholes and morons. If you want to play nice, you are more than welcome to play with us. If you think we're too n00b for your 1337N355 then go and find another U83R1337 forum -- there's tons out there but dont come here and be a hardcore gangsta, as Lorand said, "that's rude and we dont want that attitude around here"

Canonball

to own a MAC is a like to wear a nice/special piece of useless cloth...and why in all the bad movies people are using MAC's? I can see no advantage in having a mac except that they look damn good!
i gave a 100% vote for the PC

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
and why in all the bad movies people are using MAC's? I can see no advantage in having a mac except that they look damn good!
1. A potentially more stable development platform as the people who make the OS also make damn near all the devices
2. Native software support. (Serious) Video products started off on the Mac side and were adapted for PCs.

i gave a 100% vote for the PC
As opposed to a 50% vote :p

jesbax

Praetor, you are right. Everthing has it ups and downs. The Mac is what K-12 uses becuase it has a program that can limit a students controls to allow them only the programs they can use. This program works good for them. It is called At Ease. It is like the windows version of password login. Unlike the windoes login it does not show the desktop. it show only the users programs and there files only. The only way to by pass it is with a start up disk and deleting the program. But for users with more in mind the pc is more expandable than the make and there is more for the pc than the mac. i would have to say im 50-50. I use both and i have to repair both. becuase the comunity im in uses my services at the school and in the offices of the county.

4W4K3

VIP Member
jesbax said:
The Mac is what K-12 uses becuase it has a program that can limit a students controls to allow them only the programs they can use. This program works good for them. It is called At Ease. It is like the windows version of password login. Unlike the windoes login it does not show the desktop. it show only the users programs and there files only.

during all of my highskool education our skool has never used MAC's. they use Dell machines...and they have a program called DeepFreeze that works almost the same way. our skool computers at my HS are totally free of restrictions though...i guess only paranoid tech teachers would want to use MAC's lol.

JSchaefer

Back again!

Hey!

I had NO idea that this thread had developed so much! I had a subscription to it and only got as far as the post from the THIRD person (including myself) to post which was something like "Wow, usually words like" moron" and "(insert word)" don't appear until after the facts have dried up, so let's stick to the facts. It's nice to see how much it has developed. Seeing as I am the ONLY one (LOL!) who voted MAC, I will put up my little defense and stories and (hopefully) facts. I just want to refresh everyone that, as in everything like this, it is completley based on opinions. If either was substantially better then the other, then the lesser would have become obsolete and died off... like Beta, LOL! (even though beta had lots to offer).

OK! My defense;

I have been using PC for years. In elementary school, it was Unix, then Windows 3.1. Then we got our own computer when I was in either Gr.7 or Gr.8. It was Windows 95. I have seen the evolution of Windows through 95, 98, 98 SE, ME, XP home, XP Pro, XP Pro SP.2, etc...

I too, all the through life up until recently was like "MAC sucks, how useless, what garbage... BAH!". Then I went to college (for which we still used lots of PCs). I went to Sheridan College for the Applied Arts in Oakvile, Ontario, Canada. The school offers MANY programs in animation, illustration, design, art, etc. I took "Theatre Arts - Technical Production" (the backstage world of professional theatre). My majors were Audio, Lighting and Carpentry. I focused primarily on audio. It was in my second year audio class that I first layed hand on a mac. I was very pessimistic about it, but I quickly adapted and learned how to use it. I normally find it REALLY easy to adapt to new technologies... it's like I have a computer for a brain or something stupid, lol.

I loved it! So simple, so easy, so user friendly, so stable and what I wanted to do. I was running "Digital Performer" and "Toast" to rip CDs and use them as playback for midi control (to control the Lighting Console via Midi SysEx commands) as well as just playback for multiple shows. It was great! I have used MANY PC programs (Logic, Cubase, Cakewalk, Acid Pro, Soundforge, Wave Studio, FruityLoops, Rebirth, Nuendo, Recycle, Audio Grabber, Audio Catalyst, SAW, SFX, etc.) and I have never had such ease, support and stability as I had when running Digital Performer on the MAC. Of course, the fact that we were using a "Mark of the Unicorn" firewire audio device was a huge factor... such gorgeous gear!

I also enjoyed the look greatly. I don't care how shallow this is, but when it comes to software, the look is what I judge first. As I see it, if I am gonna be staring at the software and UI for countless hours, I want it to at least look pretty (which is why I simply DIED when windows XP came out, finally a "pretty" windows! lol). MAC is definitely a pretty computer, the hardware and software looks GREAT! I also love how the software has no defined user space. It just loads all of the control windows onto the desktop, giving you infinite versitile space to play with! (which is great when you have multiple monitors!). It really helps for audio work.

So there is my piece. I hope it helps to defend my placement... but it also explains it a lot. My life revolves around music and audio, so obviously I need a computer that supports that... and a MAC does that VERY well! I still love PCs and once I have the money, I plan to invest into a brand new "sooped" up PC and a G4 Power book (sooped up).