major problem, needs help!!!

hondaluver

hey guys i'm new here, but heres my deal and i need help. Ok... so i built my own comp and it had been running fine for about a year. Then i installed wut i believe was XP service pack 2 and had to restart my computer. All it would do was restart, and restart and restart. Well i took it somewhere and they said that it could be the motherboard, ram or processor. I said screw it and have replaced everything (motherboard,processor,ddr-ram,and hard drive) and still it comes up with some major system error right after the initial startup. I haven't been able to boot from the CD yet and i couldn't boot from the old HD. I transferred from an AMD thunderbird to a P4. Please any help, tips AYNTHING, i need this thing back and running. thanks

hondaluver

after the first intial startup and load of the system and all the memory checking is done(it seems like it is in the DOS mode) it will then say boot from cd... then u can hear the cdrom spool up and run, then stop and then a new screen pops up reading

TRAP 0000000D GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT

and then there are about 5 colomns of numbers and stuff that i have no idea wut it is

ZER0X

VIP Member
When everything loads can you press F8 to bring up the options, if you can choose safemode and try and fix things there........ or use last known good configuration....that's all I can think of.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
It could be caused by defective memory. If you have more than one memory module, take out all but one and then try to boot from CD.

your saying you took it to a tech and they said it might be? or was it a friend you took it to?

if it was a Tech you would of had a more defined Diagnosis. Unless you called AOL Techs lol.

sorry AOL bad joke :)