Many Hewlett Packard and Compaq Buyers Can't Use Disk Space They Paid For

larrydougherty

CONSUMER ALERT - Many Hewlett Packard and Compaq Buyers Can't Use Disk Space They Paid For

Not all of the massive hard drives Hewlett Packard (HP) and Compaq tout in their ads and on their boxes can be used by Pavilion and Presario owners for writing letters, storing photographs or music and other every-day uses. Without telling buyers, HP and Compaq fill as much as 10 percent of each hard drive with a hidden "recovery system" - backup copies of the operating system and factory-installed software.

Industry analysts say the computer giant saves money by not giving consumers CDs with backup software. However, these corporate savings cost Pavilion and Presario owners hard drive space they paid for, but can't use, because it's in a partitioned-off space containing HP's "recovery system." HP introduced this system on Pavilion models loaded with Windows XP, beginning in September 2001, and later added it to the Compaq Presario product line. Pavilion model computers also have a stripped-down version of Windows XP operating system without some security features and other features of Windows XP sold at retail as a stand-alone product.

HP hid the recovery partition, which prompted complaints from consumers that they didn't get CDs of the software loaded on their computers and all the space they paid for. Bruce Greenwood, an HP marketing manager, acknowledged that the change to the no-CD policy generated 50 user complaint calls a day.

Besides a lack of disclosure, the lack of recovery CDs can cause other problems. When hard drives fail, the recovery system can't be used and software can't be reloaded. In many instances, computer owners then must call technical support and pay the computer company to send the same CDs it used to provide for free with a user's original computer purchase.

Ironically, these CDs recreate the "recovery partition," again taking away useable space from computer owners.

You can review a copy of the lawsuit our law firm filed to address this problem by clicking on http://www.jameshoyer.com/problem_hp_harddrive.html

ZER0X

VIP Member
My computer is a Compaq Presario, the recovery space uses about 4gbs :confused: Im not worried about 4gbs, That's about the size of a dvd... :)

kof2000

u have no idea those recovery partitions are useful. if i dont want it i first make the recovery dvds, then format the drive and make full use of it.

ZER0X

VIP Member
kof2000 said:
u have no idea those recovery partitions are useful. if i dont want it i first make the recovery dvds, then format the drive and make full use of it.

Yer they are useful, so im not worrying about it :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
They're only not-useful for people that know what they are doing who, in general, dont bother buying such systems to start wtih :)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Have anyone tried to use that recovery?
I tried on a HP Pavillion and a Compaq laptop without any luck. In the end I reinstalled Windows from CD (CD form another computer, of course :) ).

ZER0X

VIP Member
Well today I stuffed up my computer, dunno why.....and thanks to compaq's recovery system I fixed it......and "Praetor" that right clicking problem I had ages ago all gone, no problem like that happening again, dunno why?

ZER0X

VIP Member
Oh yer, "Praetor" it was actually when I uninstall my integrated Graphics that the right clicking problem happened. :( so it's not fixed

b3n

VIP Member
Ugh integrated gfx...thats what you get for not building your own comp and buyingo one;)

ZER0X

VIP Member
b3n said:
Ugh integrated gfx...thats what you get for not building your own comp and buyingo one;)

Yer but that's the best we could get at that moment :eek:

Doesn't matter though, it's not a huge deal :)