McAfee or Norton?

B-MAN

Soemone asked me what antivirus to buy... I couldn't answer him with full confidense :(

I've used norton alot... it seems that it finds stuff... but mostly cant delete it :(

I've never really used McAfee but i hear good things... but also bad things.

What is actually better these days? :confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't answer him with full confidense
Because really it doesnt matter.

I've used norton alot... it seems that it finds stuff... but mostly cant delete it
You sure you got it configured correctly -- people compliain norton cant clean -- but it can certainly delete

I've never really used McAfee
I used to use McAfee a lot... then they got "cute" with VirusScan 4 and 5. Thats when I stopped using it.

i hear good things... but also bad things.
And I'll tell ya right now.... thats the thing about computers everywhere :)

What is actually better these days?
Like i initially said, neither. It doesnt matter what you get as long as you get somethingy

dharbinson

Out of the two there i would suggest Norton, I have never used McAfee, but Norton definately works well. However i now use Panda, in my opinion the best. If you can use that

4W4K3

VIP Member
i have updated norton like 5X the last week and i still have 2 files in quarantione that it cannot delete. whle a tad annoying, im happy that it at least found them and caught them i suggest Norton cuz i've used. Mcafee (sp?) probably just as good...but not many people i know use it.

maruxz

I think that using one software is not enough to keep your computer absolutely safe. Mcafee, Norton, Panda, AVG is good enough to check incoming and outgoing mail, but if seriuos problems occurs, some spyware or adware are downloaded these programs don't do their best.

Norton, for example just shows the virus or spyware, but do not clean it. Sometimes Mcaffee does likely. Thus if you need to clean somethin, i think specific removers are the best.

Couple of links, maybe helpful:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/
http://www.2-spyware.com/removers.php

P.S. I personally use Panda ;)

ZER0X

VIP Member
i have updated norton like 5X the last week and i still have 2 files in quarantione that it cannot delete

If you can't delete thos files that are in Quarantine, delete them manually :)
When the files are in Quarintine, they can't do no harm :rolleyes:

maruxz

If you can't delete thos files that are in Quarantine, delete them manually

Once I was trying to do that. 3 hour I was reading variuos tutorials, looking for more information, calling my frends who are more advanced than I am :confused: . My trieal to remove manually ended at PC techncal service because I deleted something I shouldn't. Technicians tried to explain me about viruses renaming the file names of system, but I am just simple user, I didn't get it.

So, manual removal for some people can cause headache and sometimes loss of $$$ :eek:

4W4K3

VIP Member
ZER0X said:
If you can't delete thos files that are in Quarantine, delete them manually :)
When the files are in Quarintine, they can't do no harm :rolleyes:

well i know i can do it manually. but for everything norton catches, i shouldn't have to go hunt it down and get rid of it myself. plus by accidentally opening it or something couldn't i spread it? i dont want to take the risk of accidentally psreading it and having norton track down like 8 more files i have to delete manually.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
and i still have 2 files in quarantione that it cannot delete
Console delete.

but for everything norton catches, i shouldn't have to go hunt it down and get rid of it myself
Dont you have a realtime antivirus? (not to mention some fancy network security?) -- dont get the viruses

i dont want to take the risk of accidentally psreading it
Common sense and basic caution deal with that

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Console delete.

Dont you have a realtime antivirus? (not to mention some fancy network security?) -- dont get the viruses

please explain "console deletion"...im not familiar with viruses/antivurus terms, thats why i use norton lol. and i got the "viruses" from a website i downloaded a song from right...so that was my fault. and i recently went to a LAN where it was open network and i believe someone was infected. when we swaped files i got 1 file that norton said was infected and it cant remove it. norton stopped running in my icontray, not sure why. does that mean its turned off? i can still open it and update, but when i close it it just stops the process all together., not sure why it does this...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
please explain "console deletion"..
Boot off using a WXP or W2K or W2K3 CD (cant use WXP if you have encrypted filesystem, gotta use one of the others ... depending on where the file is of course). Pretend like you aee gonna install the OS but select the recovery console.. now delete as per DOS

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Boot off using a WXP or W2K or W2K3 CD (cant use WXP if you have encrypted filesystem, gotta use one of the others ... depending on where the file is of course). Pretend like you aee gonna install the OS but select the recovery console.. now delete as per DOS

and this "repairs" XP, or is just a weird way to only get rid of bad files? i odnt want to "repair" it and lose stuff lol.