memory overclocking guide pt 1

Rick G

Why Overclock?
The reason behind it is very simple. It is to improve a computer’s C/P (Cost / Performance) ratio by enhancing hardware’s performance to its limit. For example, with an overclockable CPU working in a stable system environment, the speed of such CPU could be increased to be the same or close From users’ perspective view, besides the significant gain in
performance, to be able to save huge bucks while still being
able to enjoy the high-end system-like performance is the main
key.
How to Overclock / Improve computer performance;
Requirements;
Under consideration of system performance needed, purchase the proper hardware and note that each hardware model has different function and performance. Possible incompatibility issues may exist between hardware during operation.
1. Motherboard
A high performance motherboard that supports overclocking is the most important key in terms of overclocking range and stability. Most motherboard manufacturers include overclocking options or provide updates to their BIOS. These options include adjustments to CPU core voltage, AGP voltage, memory voltage, memory timing settings and sometimes even chipset voltage.
2. CPU
Each individual CPU has its significant overclocking performance. A better graded CPU has wider overclocking rangeWith proper CPU cooler and enhanced cooling system environment, such CPU could be pushed to its highest limit possible.
3. Memory
Data is read and transferred in and out of memory modules all the time. Faster transfer rate simply means more efficient data flow could be adopted under larger bandwidth. Just like the network bandwidth, larger bandwidth means faster data flow and less lag. To achieve best performance, CPU and memory modules must run at the same FSB (Front Side Bus) frequency. In order for memory modules to run at 1:1 ratio to the CPU’s operating FSB, a fine graded memory module must present.
What is the definition of a fine graded memory module?
There is really no specific specs to determine whether a memory module is good or bad because it all comes down to its original design, anufacturing facility’s quality control and packaging technologies used. The only and simplest way to determine the quality of such memory modules is to put it on the test. It is said an overclockable memory module is a better graded module than those can’t.
PCB layer;
The PCB board of the memory stick is consisted of several layers. When memory modules are operated under high frequencies, interferences between high frequency signals can not be tolerated. Therefore, in design, more PCB layers reduces the interferences and thus enhance the transfer rate.
Connecting finger ;
The pins used to connect the memory modules and motherboard also affect the transfer rate. Two kinds of surface finishing are commonly used among manufacturers today Gold-30u" plating and immersion gold-3u". To give a better conductivity, Gold-30u" plating is preferred in the industry.Column Access strobe ;This is the time needed for memory modules to index data stored. CL2 and CL3 are the period timing needed to send data. Smaller number means faster speed and less time needed. Hence, CL2 is faster than CL3. This information could be obtained from manufacturer labels on
their products. (example: CAS 2.5 7-3-3) to help end users find better memory modules with a faster CL value. (Note: memory manufacturers who share their memory module specs normally provide better quality and services.)

mad monkey

this has got absoloutely nothing to do with anything computer related, i just though i would mention that the picture beneath your name Rick G is identical to a poster i have got in my room...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL no no i get it now.... that's just me without sleep for 4 days.... cant read properly :p