Messenger and IE problems

leah

This is my first post and I hope I am posting in the right area :)

I am at the end of my rope. I had msn messenger installed and all was working fine until one day a couple weeks ago. I clicked on the msn icon on my desktop and absolutely nothing happened - would not even open up. Around the same time (maybe the exact same time, I'm not even sure anymore) when I went to check my hotmail - it would freeze. I was using IE at this was the only time it would freeze......

I am running Win 98. I have removed and reinstalled msn messenger numerous times (have also cleaned any traces of it from the registry). I have repaired IE. I have ran Spybot and Adaware and checked for viruses. I installed Firefox and has since been using that to get into hotmail (with no problems).

I know there is an answer to this but for the life of me I can't figure it out :eek:

Any and all suggestions are welcome. At this point, I am willing to try anything............

leah

I do use Firefox for checking mail but, I was just wondering if my messenger problems were related to IE somehow.

Thanks for the temporary fix..........

leah

I posted and cleaned my log - went to msn download site, tried to install....now it tells me "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable................."

I did a search for msnmsgs.msi and tried using each one that I found but still no luck. What in the world am I doing wrong now? :(

leah

Quick question - when i run the cleaner alot of different installations come up which I have to hightlight. Should I just be highlighting the msn messenger one?

leah

Well, the good news is it got installed. Bad news is when I click on the icon still - nothing.......................

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose you could try using trillian (www.trillian.cc) to log in to messenger, it sounds like you might have some sort of virus/worm but you said you already did a check.

leah

Yep - I ran spybot, adaware and avg. I was using Trillian but, my contacts were complaining that it was acting strangely. For example - they would be sending me messages and were told that I was offline, idle, etc. when in fact I was waiting for them to reply. Does this make any sence at all?

Also, it seems odd to me that I cant get to my hotmail thru IE - it freezes - could the 2 problems be somehow connected?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Trillain can autorespond if you are set to away, but that might not be what was happening.

So you can get IE to run but it freezes when opening hotmail or freezes when opening any site? Also what version of messenger are you using?