Metal Gear Solid 4

4NGU$

VIP Member
i dont see this game coming out for the 360 its definatly a ps3 game all the way like gran turismo will be
like halo 3 is for the 360

bradyfan123

i dont see this game coming out for the 360 its definatly a ps3 game all the way like gran turismo will be
like halo 3 is for the 360

yea..i totally agree with you.

i just wish it would come to the 360..o well this game will give me another reason to buy a ps3

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well I wouldn't get all set that it won't be ported to the 360. The first xbox got metal gear solid 2 ported over after it was suppose to exclusive.

I do agree though, I would almost buy a PS3 for MGS4

I read on digg.com that Gamestop is selling the rest of their PS3 stock @ $450.00 per a unit for the low end model. Once the stock is gone the price will go back to normal.

Sony really botched up the PS3 totally in so many ways.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I will buy a PS3 for MGS4 but not for another year at least. I'm sure I'll find some other games I like too so it wont be a total waste.

tlarkin

VIP Member
yeah but 600$ for a console? I'd rather put $600 towards some property, or a car or a home or whatever. I wish they'd drop the blu ray crap and the cell processor and hack the price in half. I mean there is no way they will come close to maxing out that processor in there, its waaaaay over powered. I mean desktop PCs don't have that and they still put out games that look better than the PS3.

I will buy one when the price drops and when the second generation comes out. I went through a couple of PS2s and kept buying new ones after they died out of warranty. The guy at gamestop told me he had gone through 7 PS2s!!!! I was like that is nuts, you need to get a different hobby. I was afraid to ask how many hours he spends gaming per week lol.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
You think $600 is alot? Taking into fact the depreciation of the dollar bill, About a third of all Video game systems (Neo Geo, NES, Master System) were close to that mark. The relatively low price of the Last couple generations of consoles was the exception, not the rule.

As for the Blu-ray haters, It may be a alittle pricey but it's the only way forward (along with the other formats). It's a HD format capable of carrying 50Gb's of data. This gives the developer the opportunity to expand even farther, the video game genre. It has it's downfalls, like decreased data read time, but that's just a drop in the bucket.

tlarkin

VIP Member
You think $600 is alot? Taking into fact the depreciation of the dollar bill, About a third of all Video game systems (Neo Geo, NES, Master System) were close to that mark. The relatively low price of the Last couple generations of consoles was the exception, not the rule.

As for the Blu-ray haters, It may be a alittle pricey but it's the only way forward (along with the other formats). It's a HD format capable of carrying 50Gb's of data. This gives the developer the opportunity to expand even farther, the video game genre. It has it's downfalls, like decreased data read time, but that's just a drop in the bucket.

Ok I see your point but seriously answer this

1) What current games need 50 gigs of space?

2) Can you physically tell the difference between HD DVD, Blu Ray, and standard DVD? Really the only major difference I can tell is in pure black, because the compression is lower on the higher density HD media coming out so true black looks better. Other than that, I honestly can not tell a HUGE difference what so ever?

3) Do you honestly think by the time the developers catch up to its hardware specs that they won't release a PS4? What desktop PC uses a 7 core server processor? I mean what gaming rig needs that? Not to mention what applications even take advantage of that, let alone game developers?

I see your point on Neo Geo yes it was super expensive, but they didn't sell their units out. With technology though I think you got to compare it to what 600 can buy you.

You now that there are so many dead "cutting edge" technologies out there right? Beta Max, Mini Disc, Laser Disc, Rambus RAM, etc. I won't purchase anything until I know its worth it and it actually is being utilized. I mean 50 gigs for a movie or video game? Plus blu ray doesn't even hold that anymore because I think toshiba just scaled HD DVD to 50 gigs anyways.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
No current games need 50Gb+ of space because the option was never there. But already games like Lair are taking advantage of the increased disc space.. A single level of Lair can take up to 7-8Gb's of space. Could you imagine what Bethesda (Oblivion) and others can do with this increased space?

Of course you can't tell the difference between a standard DVD and a HD one. It's new format. What format ever created used it's full potential at the beginning? I cannot say for certain that a HD format will look dramatically better than the Standard format but the possibility is there.

Yes I believe the developers will be using most to all of the PS3's potential sooner or later, What console hasn't? I think you give the developers (well certain ones ;)) less credit than they deserve. The introduction of multi-core processors is a good thing. By the end of the Ps3's life we will probably have more processor cores in our computers.

I think you have to think of what you're getting for $600 rather then what else you could do with $600. You are getting a gaming system that never need to be upgraded (larger HDD's put aside), That will Play every game out for it with no problem, And with graphics that will rival a PC's.

The large price tag aside, you can't measure a console on it's hardware alone, software is the biggest factor. Right now the Software side is not ideal, but with time we will see titles such as Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy, Jak and Daxter, Kingdom Hearts, MGS (of course), Not to mention some of the less well none titles.

I'm done ranting :) all I've got to say now is that if the technologies listed above will help to further the games to be released on the PS3, many of which i Love, then It's ok in my book. The industry must push the envelope, even if that means a couple of dead-end products.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
well you proved my point

Why spend 600 dollars now on technology that is not being utilized at all, until it is. Then at that point in time the price will probably drop and it will be cheaper and the games will finally take advantage of the hardware and you didn't waste your money.

Like why buy into newer HD equipment when there is ultimately no difference? Its an opinion of consumerism, why do we want what we don't need? I will be happy to buy HD DVD or Blu Ray once it is a proven successful technology and all of its benefits are actually realized. Otherwise i don't think spending a lot of extra money to get a small percentage of increased quality is worth it.

Again when the technology is being utilized to its potential and the price drops then its worth it to me to invest in.

Also, there is something to be said about developers, and I agree with you I am not giving them enough credit. If they wrote their apps better they could easily fit 20 gigs of content into a dual layer DVD approx 9 gigs. What this is doing is allowing them to be lazy when it comes to quality versus compression. Not to mention with hardware becoming more advance shouldn't compression/decompression be even easier? It is totally a two way lane, and should be viewed on both spectrums.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I never disagreed. I merely answered your questions with my thoughts.. Your points are your own and I agree with some of them. I don't have a PS3 nor a 360 or a Wii, I don't have the money to spend it all willy nilly. I plan to do just as you, buy one when the games I want are released and the price has fallen into my budget.

But Consoles are non-changing entities; they need to possess more power, more capability than needed at the time of their inception. Otherwise the industry would be stunted, stopped in it's tracks. The Blu-ray drives and cell processors are facts of this. So, In my view, the way they PS3 is built is unavoidable.. instead of fighting this fact I accept it, and wait patiently till I can play Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final fantasy XIII!

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
What this is doing is allowing them to be lazy when it comes to quality versus compression.
I agree, instead of getting a ton more content you'll get a little bit more content and a frig ton of not very compressed content. I also think that when the EOL for the PS3 comes along games will still not be using the Cell processor it has to anything near it's potential

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Looping all the developers into one group is a bad idea. Sure companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Sony themselves will probably take the lazy route but there are some respectable developers left.. One's whose actions aren't so easily predicted. :/

bradyfan123

I will buy a PS3 for MGS4 but not for another year at least. I'm sure I'll find some other games I like too so it wont be a total waste.

This what I'm planning to do..wait for another year till the price drops(hopefully) and then get a ps3 and mgs4..im sure ps3 will have more games worth to buy the system by then.

4NGU$

VIP Member
too lond didnt read but
the reason im concidering buying a PS3 is because its a ten year plan so you spend £300 at it will get you playing all the games the come out for it for the next 10years tell me what pc i can buy for £300 that will last me 10years of top end game playing ?

12-Gauge

the reason im concidering buying a PS3 is because its a ten year plan so you spend £300 at it will get you playing all the games the come out for it for the next 10years tell me what pc i can buy for £300 that will last me 10years of top end game playing ?

Good point. The PS2 lasted a decade so there's no reason why the PS3 couldn't.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah, but what happens when they release the PS4 in 2010 and then you have to go buy another 700 dollar console