Mod a HP case

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
hey all,

now you will all probably laugh at this but ooh what the heck....

do you think this HP case could be modded to look nicer?
like sprayed,Add a side see through window etc?

lol the power button is bust and scratches everywhere:p

tower.jpg

ive seen some much older and more ugly cases than mine that look realy nice with a revamped case.

someone on here did mod their stock Compaq case some time back:)

so please pimp my case computer forum :)

ghost

do you think this HP case could be modded to look nicer?
like sprayed,Add a side see through window etc?

Cant see why not, but is it worth the hassle. Wouldnt it be easier just to buy a new case that you like?

Yeah, you could do that, I am working on an old Lighthouse Computer case and it looked horrible. I used bondo and changed the whole look of the front of the case.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cant see why not, but is it worth the hassle. Wouldnt it be easier just to buy a new case that you like?

yeah im willing to put time into revamping it...i could get a new case like you said but i dont realy want to spend anything on this pc anymore.

i can get the paint for nothing from my dads work:D

im saving for a new pc but i still want to revamp this case because im keeping this old system as a backup pc.

yeah im willing to put time into revamping it...i could get a new case like you said but i dont realy want to spend anything on this pc anymore.

i can get the paint for nothing from my dads work:D

im saving for a new pc but i still want to revamp this case because im keeping this old system as a backup pc.

Yeah, nothing like a unique case...

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
what could i do with the power on button?
because it broke off:cool:...i can still switch the pc on obviusly with that black little switch inside but if im gonna mod the case i want to get that fixed.

also what colour do you think it would look good painted?

i was thinking all Black :)

lovely?

hey, my vote is do it. google instructions, mby youtube, just a little bit of effort goes a long way

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, I think you should go for it man, it'll be a fun experience, keep us updated and such. If you got your Dad to help too, he may enjoy it and it'd be fun, you know.

Are your CD drives ones that the CD slides into?
If you had a spare CD slot, you could mount like three 40mm LED fans on there, that'd look pretty cool!

I rekon if you could get it, a gloss black would look great on it, you could also cut an 80mm or 120mm hole on the side and stick a fan on there. :D

EDIT: I got a cool idea, you could get like Airplane toggle switched for the Power button and stick it on somehow;
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?ProductID=4739
Something like that :p

Last edited:
Yeah, I think you should go for it man, it'll be a fun experience, keep us updated and such. If you got your Dad to help too, he may enjoy it and it'd be fun, you know.

If you had a spare CD slot, you could mount like three 40mm LED fans on there, that'd look pretty cool!

I rekon if you could get it, a gloss black would look great on it, you could also cut an 80mm or 120mm hole on the side and stick a fan on there. :D

EDIT: I got a cool idea, you could get like Airplane toggle switched for the Power button and stick it on somehow;

That switch wouldn't work on the motherboard's power headers, it would stay on. I don't guess he would want to flip it up and back down just to turn it on.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member

i dunno yet if i should...because knowing my luck the paint wont turn ot right because the front panel and top are plastic while the side panels are metal:D

but i would probably do it Jet black....but glossy so its shiny not dull,But i was reading on some other case modding sites that i should apply Plastikote Flexible Primer first before i paint my finish coat on.

yeah it would be heaps of fun because ive always wanted a see through side window they look cool,Especialy if i replace the cpu fan with a coloured LED one:D

i was thinking about adding a fan on the side but at the bottom left hand side of the case like yours is danny exept you have 2:)

lol dan you must read my mind,I was actualy looking at those toggle switches this morning :D

rbxslvr

what could i do with the power on button?
because it broke off:cool:...i can still switch the pc on obviusly with that black little switch inside but if im gonna mod the case i want to get that fixed.

also what colour do you think it would look good painted?

i was thinking all Black :)

The power button is easy if you have a soldering iron... just get a simple push button (one that works like your current one... push-for-on, push-again-for-off... I'd assume.). Cut out a small circle for wires, and solder on the new one in place of your old one. Then just attach the button to the case (most will have a nut... mostly plastic ones)... check out your nearest radio shack and have a look. Probably a $3 or less item.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, you should get PlastiKote, we sell them in my DIY store, they're the main paint company for spray and such ( I think ). Primer would be a good idea :)

Yeah, that'd be cool, it's get your GPU and your north/south bridge, depending on where you put it.
lol, They're cool, you could get some cold cathodes and have the toggle switch to turn them on and off. Now that I mention it, there's an idea! Hmm!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
The power button is easy if you have a soldering iron... just get a simple push button (one that works like your current one... push-for-on, push-again-for-off... I'd assume.). Cut out a small circle for wires, and solder on the new one in place of your old one. Then just attach the button to the case (most will have a nut... mostly plastic ones)... check out your nearest radio shack and have a look. Probably a $3 or less item.

i dont have a soldering iron,But i could get one cheap from here
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32909&criteria=soldering iron&doy=1m7

this switch looks quite nice actualy but will it work?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=37319&doy=1m7

Yeah, you should get PlastiKote, we sell them in my DIY store, they're the main paint company for spray and such ( I think ). Primer would be a good idea :)

Well my dad can get spray paint from his work for nothing but i dunno what make it is or if its any good yet:D
i bet that Plasticote is expensive isnt it?

Yeah, that'd be cool, it's get your GPU and your north/south bridge, depending on where you put it.
lol, They're cool, you could get some cold cathodes and have the toggle switch to turn them on and off. Now that I mention it, there's an idea! Hmm!

hehe yeah it would be blowing on my GPU i think so that would be handy,I wouldnt bother with cold cathodes because if i get LED fans anyway they will brighten everthing up;)

i dont want to spend that much to be honest...just the basics like paint and a few LED fans thats it.
because as you know im saving up for my new rig so:D

rbxslvr

i dont have a soldering iron,But i could get one cheap from here
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32909&criteria=soldering iron&doy=1m7

this switch looks quite nice actualy but will it work?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=37319&doy=1m7

hehe yeah it would be blowing on my GPU i think so that would be handy,I wouldnt bother with cold cathodes because if i get LED fans anyway they will brighten everthing up;)

i dont want to spend that much to be honest...just the basics like paint and a few LED fans thats it.
because as you know im saving up for my new rig so:D
You don't want a toggle switch... you need a BUTTON of some sort... (as I'm sure you had a button before). You could see if a toggle switch will work by snipping the wires leading to the button (while the PC is off... duh!) and stripping down a little bit on the ends. Then touch and hold the two wires together for 15 seconds and see if the computer turns on (it will) and then back off... if it turns back off, then you can't use a toggle switch (unless you flip the toggle switch on then back off like 1 second later)

Even if you can't use the toggle switch, you can buy it if you want and find a button that the red cover will fit in...which wouldn't be that hard.

You may want a locking switch (Serves the same purpose as the toggle switch)... and you could make it an illuminated one, by soldering the leads from the power status LED to the LEDs on the button. But take a look at the "Push to make switch" one... I think that is what you are looking for.

I think if you get the toggle switch you linked to and this, you should be set... the toggle switch cover will fit over the button

I think a neat little modding project for myself would be to wire up what looks like a headphone port to my power switch circuit and use one of these...

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

Yes I do.
It was my first mod, so I mounted the plexi on the outside...

withcathodeandflash.jpg

That green thing is out now, it quieted the fans.
The epoxy job looks better now.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
withcathodeandflash.jpg

The epoxy job looks better now.

that doesnt look bad actualy,i probably would put the plexi inside though so you wouldnt see where ive glued it:)

Kornowski....that pic you done looks realy good.

could you edit it so its the same colour but without those fans at the top?

just my usual drives?

i want to see what it looks like :)

Last edited: