Modem is a peice of...!

Fure6

yea, so like four days ago my modem stoped working mysteriously...so i went to my feriends house and his mom said that google had a virus or somthing and that my friend shouldn't use it anymore (my bro said that just the google website itself had one). So i get home and my mom said that the news was talking about a virus that went around to people's computers and made their modems not work.

so then yesterday i talked to a guy on this forum bout it and he said to download some files with this laptop i'm using and transfer it through floppy's, unzip them, and some how install them; or i could just reformat my computer...so i reformatted it. i would talk to him right now about it, but he's not signed on MSN messanger.

I reformat it and install my modem driver and when the hardware loads it says: "Cmdnist has caused an error in <unknown>. Cmdninst will now close."

AHHH, i hate computers!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Try removing the modem from the device list in device manager (start --> run --> devmgmt.msc), rebooting and letting windows redetect the modem. If it doesnt detect, then cancel the windows new hardware thingy and install the drivers that come with it (check the manufacturer for new drivers) and then reboot

Fure6

i did the run devmgmt.dsc (or whatever you put up there) and it did not work..."windows cannot find it". I'm running WinME right now b/c that's what boot disk i have at the moment... I can't find device manger in the control panel either, i did a search for it and couldn't find it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i did the run devmgmt.dsc (or whatever you put up there) and it did not work..."windows cannot find it". I'm running WinME right now b/c that's what boot disk I have at the moment
It'll be uder System properties... but i see you've found it :p