motherboard & memory compatibility issue

MADtech

I am in the process of building my first computer. I have a Gigabyte GA-8IE533 motherboard and 2 sticks of 512 MB DDR333 PC2700 RAM. The 2 sticks of RAM are from different manufacturers, one is PNY Technologies, the other is Centon Electronics (MemoryPOWER module). I was wondering if these two sticks of RAM will work together. I am questioning the compatibility because I noticed the black boxes(don't know the technical term) are on both sides of the PNY stick, but only on one side of the Centon stick. thanks.

Tapir

The pny is double bank and centon is single bank. I it is not recommended that you use that type of configuration. You might get you pc to work but as it warms up it will become very unstable and take you into BSOD. Blue sSreen Of Death. The best thing is to conslt you board manual. Browse through your board cd. You may find a manual there that is more comprehensive than the little paperback manual.

MADtech

Are double-sided and single sided DIMM the same thing as double-bank and single bank? My motherboard manual says it can support a double-sided DIMM in the first socket and a single-sided DIMM in the second socket.

Tapir

Yes they mean the same. Still it is better you re-check the board's web site for their compatibility list.