My 2nd monitor is no longer recognized it seems.

Spiros94

So, I've been using a two-monitor setup for a couple of years I think and it's been great. Suddenly, one or two months ago, my second monitor stopped being recognized.

To begin with, I have windows 10, an i5-8600K processor, a Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming motherboard, an ATI AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB graphics card and 16GB of RAM. My main monitor is connected to my graphics card via a VGA cable which connects to a VGA to DVI adapter, which connects to the graphics card. My second monitor is actually a TV, only that I've been using it as a monitor for years. Hardware-wise, I didn't change anything between the last time the second monitor was recognized and the first time it wasn't. The second monitor has been, from the beginning, connected to the graphics card via HDMI cable, which I know to be working. Same goes for both HDMI ports on the second monitor. It goes without saying that the second monitor also works. I've used it for a few months recently as a monitor for a PS4 (connected via the same HDMI cable in any of the two ports) with no issue.

Now software-wise, I'm in a bit of a weird situation regarding the drivers for the graphics card. For years now, every time I update the drivers, the resolution of my main monitor is set at a value that it doesn't support and consequently goes out of sync. That is the reason I connected a second monitor to begin with, to be able to change the first one's resolution through the second one. Over those years I've changed CPU, RAM, motherboard, I've formatted, but the resolution is always set at an inappropriate value after every drivers update. As a result of my newest problem, I can no longer update my drivers, since I won't be able to use another monitor to change the resolution. I'm under the impression that I can't change the resolution in safe mode, since in that mode the drivers won't be activated so I don't know if I can somehow safely update my drivers to test if updating them will fix the second monitor issue. Finally, I don't have a third monitor to check if for any reason, that would work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

My specs again:
CPU: i5-8600K
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard: Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
GPU: ATI AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB
Storage: SSD for OS, HDD for files and games.