Myth?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
We all "know" the common practise of having to reinstall the OS when making a major platform change and we've all advocated it and seen the BSODs that arise when you dont. Yet........ when I upgraded from my old system (XP2500, A7N8X-X, Ti4600) to a new system (Athlon64, A8V Deluxe, AIW9600) running WXP-SP1 heavily modifed on the original configuration ... i didnt have to reinstall jack. I simply had to reboot a couple times, point some drivers and everything was hunky dory (albeit the NIC driver refused to install and the SATA/Promise controllers would not install but ... you cant have everything).

This indeed a very impressive feat (especially considering when i went from A7V8X-X to A7N8X-X I had to reinstall -- and thats within a platform). Is there any sense to this or did i just get lucky?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Nah not really i gave W64 a spin a couple times ... i really like a lot of the things its got beta or not ... i just cant operate without drivers for my keyboard and logitech is being dum :p

ZER0X

VIP Member
When my friend bought a Uguru motherboard and a Radeon 9600XT he just had to install Drivers for the GFX Card and the motherboard. He hooked the hardrive up and it worked fine, but yours was a complete system his wasn't.

squits04

hmph, i thought i'd have to reformat when i changed my mobo cuz i'm w2k, but all went w/out a problem. i was amazed.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I didn't reinstall xp either after a mobo and video card update (mobo: a crappy Matsonic :mad: -> Asus A7V600-X :) ; video: ATI Rage Pro AIW -> Hercules Radeon 9000 Pro AIW).
After starting up the new system there were some driver mess-up, but after unistalling the old drivers and installing the new ones everything worked fine. And it works perfectly ever since...

Cookieboro

When installing new hardware i like to reinstall OS so everything seems fresh and i can sort out any problems there and then and have it all inmind incase of any other updates i make =)