Need advise on cpu cooler

joelkyr

Hi, I got my new rig running and working just great not until I notice my CPU temp., the temp. reads between 45C t0 50C, w/c praetor says was normal and no cause for alarm, but when I opened a program it just climbed to 57C so I shut it down coz I think its going to go up some more and worried that I might wreck my CPU, my fan is a stock fan from intel, so guys do you think I should replace my CPU fan or just add up some more case fan or what, and if ever I need a replacement, any brand you can suggest. My CPU is 3.4HT. THANKS :) :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
45 to 50.... i thought you meant AMD as thats perfectly fine for AMD chips ... but for Intel ... that's a tad hot .... unless you're running a Prescott, at which point thats surprisingly cool :p

Grab something like this: http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/ttextreme.html ... it's a solid fan all-around and supports damn near any chip you throw at it. It's big, it's loud but you can also tone the volume down with the fan controller :)

ZER0X

VIP Member
That is pretty hot but for AMD CPU'S can go up to 90C before they become completely useless, dunno about P4 or Celeron's.

Be sure the fans are dust free.
Add more case fans if possible, be sure there is space around the case, and move it to a cooler environment if possible... this is only if it gets too be a worry. :)

ZER0X

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
That is pretty hot but for AMD CPU'S can go up to 90C before they become completely useless, dunno about P4 or Celeron's.
True but if you're CPU temp is that high, other tmps are gonna be "wrong" too meaning scrambled memory :) (which is why I typically tell people to panic at 70ºC as most mobos will autokill at 85ºC anyways

ZER0X

VIP Member
Praetor said:
True but if you're CPU temp is that high, other tmps are gonna be "wrong" too meaning scrambled memory :) (which is why I typically tell people to panic at 70ºC as most mobos will autokill at 85ºC anyways

True That :D

joelkyr

So what should be the ideal temp. for a P4 3.4 HT CPU? coz whenever I turn my PC on., the Temp. reading is 45C and slowly climbs up, open a program and it goes up some more, I was worried coz I played some games and the next thing I know , temp. was 57C.