need help! comp wont start

azncolt85

the computer wont start. i think the reason is that the power button is broken or out of place because whenever i press the button, it feels different than it usually do. the first time it turned on but then it turned off soon after. then i tried turning it on again but it wont start now. what should i do? is there ne way to fix this or turn on the comp with out the button or is there a way to jump start it? if there is, then how?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
It could be caused by that button. If you press it and its contacts remains connected (instead of making contact only for short time) then it's just like holding down the power button. And if the power button is pressed for at least 4 seconds the mobo will power off.
Until you fix that button, you can start up the computer in a car-thief way: take out the two wires that go into that button and make a short contact with them.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Or even something simpler by unplugging the PSU and plugging it back in ... some PSUs auto power up on initial power and remain powered :)

smitherz

yep it might be the button, take off the front if you can and try it that way.does it feel different?

smitherz

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
The front panel is removable, but the removal trick is depending on the case model. What case do you have?

azncolt85

just a regular high tower. i dont see any screws or any other thing to take out the front panel. oh and another question, is there any caution i should noe when i start the computer by using the wires that are connected to the power button?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
No. Only on very old computers the power on switch connects the 220 v (or 110 V). But newer, ATX mainboards are powered all the time (with a very low current), and the voltage on button wires is only 5 V. So there's no danger even touching them.

azncolt85

it is an old case. its like 3 or 4 years old. but its an atx motherboard. so is there still no caution?

Last edited:

ZER0X

VIP Member
With some PSU's they come with a switch on the back of it...I hope no-ones fiddled with that or else it can blow, also if you can get into your case check to power button :)