!!!!!!!!!need Help Upgrading My Pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAsnwbordr

I have a Sony Vaio. I want to do some upgrading to make it a true gaming pc. Here are the specs:

Pentium 4 3.2ghz (800 FSB) 1mb cache processor (stock heatsink)

Infineon Memory, 512(2x256)mb 400 DDR 3200

Radeon 9600 128mb 128bit

Asus micro motherboard

160 gb 7200rpm hard drive

266 watt power supply (since sony makes unique power supplies, i'm thinking of getting just a new case with new power supply (400 watt).)

Well there is my specs, hope it makes sense. Give any suggestions on upgrading. IF YOU GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS, MAKE SURE IT IS UNDER $300 (NOT INCLUEDING THE GRAPHICS CARD)

ZER0X

VIP Member
(NOT INCLUEDING THE GRAPHICS CARD)

So your looking to upgrade, the only real thing that stands out that I would upgrade would be the GFX....depends were you live but you could pick up GeForce 6600 for $200-350 that's farely better than that Radeon 9600 (Remember this is what I'd upgrade you can take my suggestions to hand if you want) :)

AAAsnwbordr

don't worry about my graphics card, i already know which one i'm getting, thanks for the suggestion though. I just am wondering how to make my pc run faster, like booting up or surfing the internet or going through files. My pc seems really slow when it comes to going through files and stuff. Would ram be the most helpful thing to make my pc go faster?

calvinius

ive just built my new pc before xmas and the two differences ive noticed concerning your problems are
new hhd runs at 10k as opposed to old 7.2k like yours
have changed broadband connection from usb to lan
i have noticed a considerable improvement accessing files on hdd and a much improved internet speed especially when just browsing and opening new sites

diablo

AAAsnwbordr said:
I'm getting a x800 pro 256mb 256-bit. $400 i have to save some money

very nice vid card. I'd upgrade the ram to at least 1gb if not more if your mobo suports more.

ZER0X

VIP Member
diablo said:
very nice vid card. I'd upgrade the ram to at least 1gb if not more if your mobo suports more.

Thats the same suggestion I would of made aswell :p
new hhd runs at 10k as opposed to old 7.2k like yours

The difference between 10k and 7.2k is very minor

b3n

VIP Member
The RAM is the only outstanding thing that needs upgrading, everything else seems fine.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
ZER0X said:
The difference between 10k and 7.2k is very minor

I agree. RPM's are an important factor, but right now, I wouldnt spend the extra money. And with 15,000 RPM and 16MB buffers... it will never end....

8MB buffer, 7200RPM ...for now, thats fast enough for me.