Need help with PCI sound card conflict plz!

mickeymouse

Hey all,
im trying 2 install a creative CT4810 Sound card in a pc with ASUS p4v533-mx MB... The MB has onboard video and sound, but poor design has crasstalk sound in onboard sound... SO... I have removed CD aux cord, tryed updating bios, and nothing seemed to work. I have now made it a mission to fix this, ands brought this creative ct4810 pci sound card... I installed it and the video didn't start... I mean, when i put card in, nothing on the screen, when i take it out, everything works fine... I cant fix it! ffs!
Machine is running XP, video is using IRQ 16. Not sure which IRQ the sound card is tryin to use, as it wont fire up the screen.
Any help would be GREATLY APPRICIEATED!!!
best regards, mickeymouse... :eek:

UrbanDragon

You said this box has onboard sound/video.

First thing, Did you disable the onboard sound in bios. if not i would look there first because windows will still allocate an IRQ to it even if you dont use it.

UrbanDragon

Reserve an IRQ in bios if your MB will let you. Then boot into safe mode. Go to device manager and set the video card to use that IRQ. reboot to ensure the video is still working.

This should work. i have rearranged IRQ's in WinXP in safemode before but you cant alter them in normal mode.

After you have verified that it will boot properly, try adding the sound card.

Alternatively you might want to try adding the sound card in a different PCI slot. this should in theory force the box to try to assign it a different IRQ.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Reserve an IRQ in bios if your MB will let you.
With ASUS boards (and espeically older ones), put sound cards into PCI3 since that slot has access to three IRQs rather then 2 for the other slots. This isnt an issue for any mobo deemed "recent" however.