Network visbility thingy

Shufty

Hi. We've set up a net work in our house using a router. We can all access the internet fine, but when it comes to seeing each other it gets weird. Some people can only see a couple of others, some can't see anyone. Or they can see people but not access them. So we can't share much and it also affects network gaming (and bittorrent, but that only seems to affect me!)

If anyone could help, it would be absolutely sweet!

BTW we're running WinXP, Win2000, and maybe 98se

Last edited:

beatmaster

You could try adding a network place manually. In XP, you can do it by going to My Network Places, then Add A Network Place. (Im not sure if these steps are the same in previous versions of windows).

To add a computer, type \\COMPUTER NAME\\ (where computer name is the name of the computer :p )

If you want to just add a directory, eg a shared folder, type \\COMPUTER NAME\SHARED FOLDER

As for bittorrent, i cant stand it! You should try the client BitTornado; Literally the same thing i think, but i got on with it more :D

For your gaming, if its LAN your trying to do, maybe you could try connect directly via IP. If not, maybe just create an Internet sever, then join that.

Hope at least some of this helps

Adam

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The W98SE machines are gonna have a "fun" (read: not so fun) time dealing with the W2K machines. As for "seeing" each other, are you all on the same subnet? :)