Networking problems

bloodfyr

Alright...so I've got a simple little network going. Two WinXP PCs that are in the same room, connected on a hub, using Internet Connection Sharing on the older one (Family's). I set it all up, and it works perfectly the first time. That was a few weeks ago.

Then today my computer spontaneously reboots. No biggie. It HAD been running for four days straight. I log back in, and look. I can't connect through the Family's computer again. I open up My Network Places and I can't even SEE the Family's computer. I go over there, and it can't see mine. But in Network Connections, it says that the LAN connection is fine. And I physically see that it's fine. Lights on both NICs. Lights on the hub.

They can't even ping. I try starting the network over from scratch. That doesn't work. I switch the ICS host to my computer. That doesn't work. They're still on the same workgroup. It's been so long since I've done any form of network troubleshooting, that I'm already at the end of my rope.

Grimulus

Check for worm/virus/other nasties that could have through the connection.

Had that same kinda thing happen when that happened on a friends comp.

And send a PM to Praetor. He's knows is sshhhhhhhhhhh....(bad word)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Remove all the network settings you've got from both computers (prolly best to redo it just to be sure and it hopefully wont be as much of a hassle)

2. Are the computers running on the same subnet... been awhile since i did Windoes FS but i believe they require the same subnet (i.e., the first three sets of numbers of both IPs are the same for both computers)

bloodfyr

1. I've done it several times.

2. Yeah...they are. ICS changes the host computer on the network to be 192.168.0.1, and then I made my computer 192.168.0.3 after it stopped working.

(Sorry it took so long to post. Been so busy lately...)

ZER0X

VIP Member
I had the same problem when I connected my compter to another if you have a Firewall set the priorities or turn it off also wait about 2 minutes so it will connect properly and then try.

ZER0X