Never Gonna build Again

Odin845

I am trying to build my computer right now and so far I am doing horribly. So far i put in the motherboard, cpu, hdd, and ram. I am currently trying to put in the video card in to an antec 900 case and I put the video card in but the screw holes don't line up so what should I do?

A lot of other stuff went wrong. It took me forever to put in the cpu fan, the instructions were crappy and I just kept try to push down and I am not even sure if I actually did it right. Also one of the screws i used to screw into the motherboard didn't tighten and I couldn't get it out. Also I dropped a screw on the mobo! So what are the chances that my computer will actually run?

And if it doesn't run I am I pretty much out 2000 bucks right.

andy faith

could you take a photo of your problem with the video card not lining up if thats possible? dropping a screw on it wont hurt it, if the cpu fan doesnt come off if you pull with a fair force then its probably on right. tipping the computer upside down and levering the screw with a flathead screwdriver should get that screw out i should think

tuxify

Just try to get everything in as good as it goes, and turn it on. I was sort of scared when I built my system, but it turned out fine. Are you using a anti-static wrist band?

Odin845

It turned on, but now I think it is getting too hot, the cpu is going over 70 degrees celcius and I heard the highest it should go is 50.

ghost

Whats the spec of the PC that you have made?

And you did apply thermal paste on the CPU.....?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
It turned on, but now I think it is getting too hot, the cpu is going over 70 degrees celcius and I heard the highest it should go is 50.

LGA 775 heatsinks are obnoxious to put on. Most lightly it's not tightened correctly. Also, did you put the right amount of thermal paste?

Odin845

I was looking at the bios and it was going over 80 and it shut off, I put the artic silver thermal paste on

What is the right amount? I just tried to cover the cpu.

Oh yea and it it shut off automatically does that mean the cpu is broken now?

Last edited:

ghost

PC specs? Also deffo sounds like the HS isnt mounted on the CPU properly. I suggest you take the HS off and put it back on again.

Odin845

There was this skin colored pad on the bottom of the heatsink , was I supposed to take that off?

Will my cpu still work or is it broken if it had to automatically shut off?

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
You don't need it running if those are the temps. You should have removed the pad, though if you left it on it wouldn't cause the temps to go that high. You need to re-seat the heatsink

Odin845

VGA EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR 8800GTX R - Retail
MB EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR NF680I 775 R - Retail
CPU INTEL|C2Q Q6600 2.40G 775 8M R - Retail
PSU TT|W0106RU 700W RT - Retail
CASE ANTEC|NINE HUNDRED BK RT - Retail

Those are specs, I didn't think I put the heatsink in right, the directions were terrible but after hours it finally didn't shake when i grabbed it so I thought it was good. Does anyone know a site with better directions or something?

How much thermal paste should I put on, I think I put a lot.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
VGA EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR 8800GTX R - Retail
MB EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR NF680I 775 R - Retail
CPU INTEL|C2Q Q6600 2.40G 775 8M R - Retail
PSU TT|W0106RU 700W RT - Retail
CASE ANTEC|NINE HUNDRED BK RT - Retail

Those are specs, I didn't think I put the heatsink in right, the directions were terrible but after hours it finally didn't shake when i grabbed it so I thought it was good. Does anyone know a site with better directions or something?

How much thermal paste should I put on, I think I put a lot.

One riced sized drop. the stock heatsink has four clips. Align and press .. Then snap! their in.

Odin845

I reseated the heat sink, but now another problem has risen. I think a small drop of sweat fell on my motherboard, so is there anything I can do? I heard water is bad for computers.

I think I may have put too much arctic silver on the heat sink, can this be my problem and plus I had the skin colored pad on the heat sink, could that heat it up that much?

well, I won't turn on my computer until I hear some input about the sweat, thanks for all the help.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
No water! water conducts electricity= Fry, you can take a hair dryer and blow around in the case some..

You should have taken the pad off like we stated before. But once you turn it on, see what the temps are. A little much AS5 is OK it will just get pushed out.

Y