New Computer Case Help!

TheChef

I just got m a new computer case, a POWMAX with 400w PS and a Biostar M7NCD Pro Mobo. There are power cords that I believe go to the lights are hanging down (red white, green white, and blue white) and I know they need power. There is a multi-colore connector named JPANEL1. Where dfo you plug these in to give them the power they need. Also, I got an AGP graphics card. Is there a special power cable that needs to go directly to the card? Also, where does the adio cable form the CDROM and the speakers in front plug in. The last thing is where the front USB cables plug in.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Read the mobo manual to determine where those jumpers go.

As for the video card if you need a special cable, it will say so or there will be a very visible plug for it

You dont need the cd audio cable as the data is xferred via the IDE cable :)

Read the mobo manual for the USB headers :)

TheChef

The mobo didnt come with a manual. But I figured it out. Thanks. Now I have the system up and running, but it only goes to the hardware monitor phase (where my processor is 113F is that ok, I think its a little high) and it says Verfying DMI pool data.
eek!

TheChef

Yes I can get to the BIOS. I have to load WinXP on it because it is a brand new computer that I built from scratch. It recognizes that all of my 256 MB of memory are there. Now the update is a success, but it stays there.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have to load WinXP on it because it is a brand new computer that I built from scratch.
OS shouldnt matter unless im missing something.....

Now I have the system up and running, but it only goes to the hardware monitor phase (where my processor is 113F is that ok, I think its a little high) and it says Verfying DMI pool data.
Your machine... upon bootup, tells you the temp?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok when it says "verifying DMI pool" where does it appear relative to everythign else on the screen? (and what else is on the screen)

TheChef

The first screen talks about my video card bios (a GeForceFX 5500 128mb).The second screen appears with a harware monitor and then the message about the DMI under the harware monitor.

TheChef

I can get into the bios before the second page appears if I hit the button quickly, then I can look at my HDDs. The hardware monitor on the second page just tells me:
CPU temp
CPU fan speed
AGP Vcore
+12V
-5V
System Fan Speed (which it doesnt read)
CPU Vcore
3.3 V
-12 V

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I can get into the bios before the second page appears if I hit the button quickly,
Doesnt count. When/does your computer show the page where it shows the drives and stuff?

TheChef

It doesn't anymore. It used to but I went into the bios and made it boot from the CD first so I could install XP and it stopped showing the page with the drives.

TheChef

It started installing XP but then there was an error the frst time. something had to do with the hardware.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it stopped showing the page with the drives.
Not sure if you're understanding me....
1. Going into BIOS is "cheating" ... the system is supposed to show you a certaain amount of information regardless
2. Again im gonna ask... the page that shows u the temperatures when you boot up and stuff.... was that in BIOS or not? (doesnt count if it was in BIOS)
3. Roughly this is what you're gonna see at boot up:

- One screen for the VGA Boot up
- The screen where it does the memory check which is the same screen it shows the drives in
- I have a couple ideas but you gotta get those screens before we can proceed

TheChef

Praetor said:
1. Going into BIOS is "cheating" ... the system is supposed to show you a certaain amount of information regardless
2. Again im gonna ask... the page that shows u the temperatures when you boot up and stuff.... was that in BIOS or not? (doesnt count if it was in BIOS)
3. Roughly this is what you're gonna see at boot up:

- One screen for the VGA Boot up
- The screen where it does the memory check which is the same screen it shows the drives in
- I have a couple ideas but you gotta get those screens before we can proceed

This is what happens when I let the computer boot up on its own
1. A page comes up that only says:
GeForce FX 5500 BIOS
Version 4.4..........
Copyright Nvidia 1996-2003
128.0 MB ram
2. A screen comes up with a big BIOSTAR symbol.
3. Then the harware monitor comes up and under it it says Verfying DMI Pool Data

No it is not in the BIOS.

It does not show the screen with the memry check.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok some things to try:
1. Pop the memory out, unplugg the connections on the IDE cables
2. Put one stick of memory in
3. Unplug anythin that isnt horribly useful at boottime (i.e., soundcards, network card etc)
4. Do you get that memory/harddriive screen? If yes goto 6, if no goto 2 and swap sticks, if you've gone through all the sticks goto 5
5. Your mobo is toasted or something is seriously wrong with it. Try reseting the BIOS to failsalfes or default settings
6. Now that you have boot somewhat correctly change just the boot order (for CD boot) and install

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
no, hdds arent critical for boot....if ur not getting the memory check then the system isnt even gonna start to check for the drives .... is the RAM the right type? :)