new dvd drive keeps stopping

Xenon787

i can get an image and sound, but its extreamy slow to play it.

it stops after about half a second playing. this is extreamly annoying.

anyone know how i can fix this?

Xenon787

its the same cable that goes to the cd-rw

but its how the old dvd drive ran, and that was perfect ( till it broke)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
System Specs Please. Could very well be a driver issue.. What are you playing the dvd with? (software).

Xenon787

2.70ghz celron
512mb
49x dvd drive

what spc do you need to know? nothing else has changed since the other one broke

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
You did not reinstal anything else except for the Drive correct? Did you set the jumpers on the drive? Also what was the software are you using to watch your dvd? did you try uninstaling the software and reinstalling with your new drive in? Have you used the drive to do other things? Try using that drive to instal somthing such as a game or piece of software of any kind and see if there are read errors and take note of the speed of which it takes to perform such tasks.

Xenon787

am tried it with power dvd, media player and some other software i installed today.

it works find when copying images/videos from a disk onto desktop, but "my computer" crashed if you try to do anything with the box while its doing alot.

i dont know what a jumper is, all i have going into the drive is, the power cable, and a long black "bus" looking thing, which i assume carrys the data

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
If you look on the back of the drive where you plug in the power etc. you'll see small pins with a jumper. Usualy when you recieve the drive it will be on "CS" which stands for "Cable Select". I would suggest making sure that this drive is set as a Master on the secondary chain. Also set the drive pin to master if it's not already rather then cable select.

Edit:

May be a dumb question but you did try it with more then one dvd right?

Last edited:

Xenon787

i have tried it with brand new cds, two dvds and its the same problem.

have just looked, the wide lead thing, says master, and the slave one goes into the cd drive

Last edited:

Xenon787

there must be somthing i can do, i just spend like 20quid on this.

shurly theres somthing about my PC stoping this working right

Bigshow1030

man

I need to go and buy things where you live.............Could live like a king for months if that is what our dollar is worth there :p

Bigshow1030

the whole currency exchange and stuff like that.....I would have clue one what my dollar was supposed to be worth in mexico and stuff like that.......I would get taken for a RIDE :eek: