New gaming computer.. Any advices?

johan

I've been checking out all kinds of websites about computer hardware, and made myself an image about how my computer would be like.. So here it is, preliminary... Please make comments about the parts, tell me if they suck or if its a good choice, or if there is something better! :)

Btw, I have a few requirements for whichever computer I decide to buy too. It shall preform very well in any game out today and for tomorrows games aswell. It shall be easy to upgrade in a year or two, without having to replace much parts but like the videocard and the CPU. It shall be a cool system, both today and in a year or two. And by cool system I mean cool temperaturewise, not hot and stylish! (Although I personally think the chassi of my own choice is kind of stylish, even though it doesn't look like an alien or something). =)

Anyway, here's the preliminary computer:

-Coolermaster STC-T01 Chassi Stacker + Antec NeoPower 480W

-Cooler Master Cross flow fan for Stacker

-CoolerMaster AeroGate II Silver

-Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI 4DDR-DIMM 3PCI 4PCIe SATA Raid Audio GB-LAN Socket939 ATX

-AMD Athlon64 3500+ 2200MHz/2.2GHz 512kb bulk/tray Socket939

-Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu inkl. Fanmate2 Intel Socket478 / AMD Socket462/754/939/940

-2x GeIL Ultra X 512Mb DDR PC3200 CAS2 400MHz with Heatsink+ temp sensor

-Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B200M0 200Gb 7200rpm 8Mb S-ATA

-AOpen GeForce 6600GT 128Mb DDR3 TV-out DVI RETAIL PCI Express

-NEC ND-3500 Dual-Layer DVD +RW/R -RW/R 16X DVD+R 4X DVD+RW 16X DVD-R 4X DVD-RW 48X CDR 24X CDRW bulk Silver IDE

-Standard 1.44Mb 3.5" floppy Silver

So there it is, my custombuilt computer.. So please let me know what you think about this system, and if you have a better idea, please state it! Thanks!

Last edited:

johan

C'mon, you gotta have some advices? ;)

There is one thing im cirous about especially, and thats the videocard... You think the 6600gt will be enough for a while? Or is it better to go with the 6800gt/ultra?

My plans are to get maybe 2 6800 ultra in sli-mode when the price goes down in maybe a year or so, but I'm a little insecure wether the 6600gt will be able to run all games until then... What do you think?

mgoldb2

VIP Member
6800 GT proberly will be fine. It just a clocked down version of the ultra. If you really wanted to you could oc the 6800 GT to be indenticle to the ultra.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it shall be easy to upgrade in a year or two, without having to replace much parts but like the videocard and the cpu
1. don't forget the memory controller for AMD systems is in the cpu . but the sockets are on the motherboard
2. not going to happen regardless really

2x Geil ultra x 512mb DDR PC3200 cas2 400MHz with heatsink+ temp sensor
very nice; ive had quite good experience with them :)

AOpen GeForce 6600gt 128mb DDR3 tv-out DVI retail PCI-express
everything was looking so great and then you're really bottlenecking it with this videocard ("tomorow's" video games are kinda not an option anymore). I would suggest either getting a nv40 (PCIx16) or swithing the mobo to a nforce3 and running AGP.

new gaming computer. any aDVIces?
can't give aDVIce until I know the budget :)

my plans are to get maybe 2 6800 ultra in SLI-mode when the price goes down in maybe a year or so, but i'm a little insecure wether the 6600gt will be able to run all games until then. what do you think?
ah so you did take that into account ok then. you will be able to play all the games and stuff yes but perhaps not at the resolution you wanted :)

6800 gt proberly will be fine. it just a clocked down version of the ultra. if you really wanted to you could oc the 6800 gt to be indenticle to the ultra
yes but getting PCI-Express nv40gt is a bit difficult :)

Blade

considering Doom 3 likes 512 Videa card ram (optimal) then i think it would eat up 128 pretty soon

Mafesto

512 ram on gfx cards? o_O ... first ive ever heard of that.. thought 256 was tops still.
anyway.. the rig looks beautiful... im doing pretty much the same route. wondering whether its worth going SLI with the current cards or waiting until the prices drop/bigger and better peeks into the market. looking at the 6800gt and Ultra.. they are pretty much good as it gets.. what more can they do?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
considering Doom 3 likes 512 Videa card ram (optimal) then i think it would eat up 128 pretty soon
Doom 3 on a 6600GT can yeild better framerates than on some x800XTs without AA and AF on and with AA and AF it still produces a very playable framerate. it does not need 512Mb of video memory, you can't even get that much on a card unless you're buying a quadro class card for a workstation

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinkin that 128mb of ram would be a bottleneck as games like Doom 3 can easily fill that much up.
It wont.

considering Doom 3 likes 512 Videa card ram (optimal) then I think it would eat up 128 pretty soon
It depends how you define optimal.

512 ram on gfx cards? o_O ... first ive ever heard of that.. thought 256 was tops still.
On consumer end cards yes you are correct. On workstation, 512+ is common/available.

it does not need 512Mb of video memory, you can't even get that much on a card unless you're buying a quadro class card for a workstation
Yes indeed but considering that the quadro is GF4 based ... not the best idea :p