New to Linux....need help installing

NJNETSFAN

Ok so I've had ubuntu 6.06 sitting on my desk for a few months, and I finally decided to put the disk in my computer and ran it as a live cd. I'd like to install the linux cd,but i don't know how to partition one of my hdd's to get it on there. My pc has 2 320GB hdd(1 for everyday stuff, the other holds 50GB worth of system backup on it) I'd like to use the hdd that has only 50GB used on it, but in order to partition that drive, do I need to delete the 50GB on there, or is there a way I can save that info and still partition that hdd?. I saw that the linux cd has a software for partitioning(g-parted?), I would assume thats what I use. Also, running the cd as a live cd I could not get on the net, I would think that is because I didn't have the software for my wireless card installed, can I use a wireless card on linux?

diroga

get gparted to partion your drive. its really easy all gui clicky clicky. with it you can resize a partion or delete one. when you do ether you get unformated space. then you format that space to what ever. i suggest making an ext3 partion of large size then a 1024mb(more?) swap portion. plug in the live cd and click on the install. its strait forward. when it gets to the partioning select manual. set root to your big ext3 partion and sawp to you swap partion. the partions will be labed like sda1 sda2 or sdb1 sdc1 ...

you should connect the laptop to a wired ethernet cable so you can get the updates. you wil probaly be promted to get the newest verion of ubuntu wicht is 7.04.

NJNETSFAN

ok, when i had the live cd in my computer (its a desktop) I was going to the to manual partitoning, the only thing is, when I partition that drive, will I lose everything on that drive? You might have answered that, but your response wasn't that clear to me. And since I'm on a desktop that is 50 feet away from the router, would there be a way to use the internet on linux? or am I just wasting my time?

NJNETSFAN

You can resize your partition and keep your backup data...What kind of wireless card are you using??

ok cool, I will try to install linux later on tonight because its so nice out right now. I'm using the wireless card that came with my computer so idk what brand it really is, HP just put their name on it, but they gave me a drivers cd, any chance these drivers would work on linux? Also, I have a spare motorolla wireless card I could try if the hp one doesn't work.

NJNETSFAN

ok, well I installed linux on my hdd. The only problem is that it keeps booting up into linux without giving me a choice for which OS to boot to. I have the linux on a 10GB partition. I'm sure its an easy fix, I'm just new to all this dual booting stuff.

munkyeetr

please open a command terminal, enter the following command (and your password), and post the output:
Code:
sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

NJNETSFAN

ok, i'm a complete noob, obviously i took on too big a task than I can handle. How do I open up a command terminal?

munkyeetr

no problem. it all comes with time and practice, just don't get discouraged.

So, to open your command Terminal use the menu in the upper left corner of your desktop and open Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

then enter the command from my last post.

NJNETSFAN

ok thats what i thought you have to do. thanks for understanding. when I open the terminal, it says vinnie@vinnie-desktop:~$ . Do i erase that and put your command in, or do I leave that and put your command after that? sry, i just want to make sure I do things right(spent $1300 on this desktop 2 months ago)

munkyeetr

no, vinnie@vinnie-desktop:~$ is just your prompt, it means the terminal is ready for input. you can't erase it with the backspace key or anything. so type the command and when it is done displaying you will see the same prompt there waiting for more input.

then just drag your mouse to select the output from the command and when you have it all selected right-click and choose Copy, then paste that into the forum here.

tlarkin

VIP Member
all this means vinnie@vinnie-desktop:~$ is that you are logged in as vinnie, and in vinnie's desktop directory. This is called the BASH prompt.

type in the code of what munky suggested it will list the options for GRUB which is a boot loader. You can then set it to chain load another OS, ie windows, so when you boot up you will have the choice of booting windows or linux.

NJNETSFAN

ok well i entered in that sudo..... and when it asks for the password it wont let me type anything in. ofcourse nothing can be easy for me :(

munkyeetr

Just so you know, it won't give any indication lilke "*" or anything. so just type your password and press ENTER.

NJNETSFAN

ok, so i got to the menu, and it only shows ubuntu stuff(no mention of windows) I know vista is on another part of my hdd. This is on its own 10GB partition, could it be that its only shows the OS's on this partition?

munkyeetr

GRUB (which is your boot-loader) will usually detect all other OS's on your system,regardless of partition or physical HD. I'm not exactly sure about Vista, as I have not used it or dual-booted it.

Please post the output of menu.lst (the command you just did) and also post the output of the following:
Code:
sudo cat /etc/fstab

The fstab file holds information about the mounted and mountable partitions on your system.

NJNETSFAN

ok well I'm using a laptop to talk to you guys while I work on the desktop, the desktop is on wirless internet so I can't really copy and past the codes. I will see what I can do to post up the results.

munkyeetr

Oh, okay, so I take it you don't have internet running on the Ubuntu machine, was the wireless not detected during installation?

NJNETSFAN

yea, i dont have internet hooked up to the linux machine, the card is an HP wireless card(most likely another brand) and it wasn't recognized. when I go to set up a network connection it only recognizes my dial up modem and my ethernet model.

munkyeetr

Just so know I haven't abandoned you, I have to go out for a half hour or so, but I'll be back to try and help you some more.