new virus or something?

SIRCOOKS

recently my computer is running slow as hell,, i just built it, its a p4 3.0 ghz 8000fsb with 1gb of ddr ram behind it, with a 128 radeon 9200 8x agp video card, usualy i cann uzip a . rar or .tar file under 5 minutes maybe less, but know its taking me almost a half hour for the same thing, same a s transferring files from one internal drive to another...

i have run ad aware many times, removed any unwanted things, i have norton 03 installed and updated as off september 11th, and that isn't picking up anything, and even that is running slow, it literally stops at a certain point. also i cant keep my homwe page, i think like an unknown trojan is there or something, and everytime i reset it to hotmail, it comes back and gives me another webopage upon opening.

does anyone know of any viruses i dont know about, is there anything else i should do, every program i have installed i need.....im just fed up because i can do things as quick as i use to.....i even defragged a couple of times, and that didn't even work...

holla back plz

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I assure you that it's not 8000FSB. :D

usualy I cann uzip a . rar or .tar file under 5 minutes maybe less, but know its taking me almost a half hour for the same thing, same a s transferring files from one internal drive to another...
Check DMA/PIO

jesbax

i don't know about a virus. It is more likely a worm. I had a customer with the same problem and only thing i came up with is to erase the hard drive and put win xp back on it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
would I have to go to the task manager to bring these up, how would I get to these
1. Start --> Run --> devmgmt.msc
2. Find your HDD controllers, goto properties, advanced and then make sure they (try to) use DMA mode

i don't know about a virus. It is more likely a worm
Worm, virus, they all classify roughly the same and semantics isnt so important

SIRCOOKS

also, everytime i go to certain websites, it just automatically switches to another....this !@#$ is !@#$%^& with me....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
so is that webpage assocviated with some type of virus or vicious spyware...?
temp = Boolean (Did you default to that webpage?)
If temp = true then Answer = null else Answer = yes
:D

SIRCOOKS

how do i defrag my registry, with what program......
ill check to see if i did install the chipset ide driver, and do so again...how would i know if my hd is crashing, and what the helll and how would determine if i had a memory leak...holla back

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
how do i defrag my registry, with what program......
There's no real need to... by the time its critically required you're more than due for a reformat :)

ill check to see if i did install the chipset ide driver
It better be installed

how would i know if my hd is crashing
Uh... it wont work or random strange crap will happen.

what the helll and how would determine if i had a memory leak.
Buggy code + careful user