nforce boards, raid conflict?

noremacyug

ive got an nf7 mobo with a promise fastrak100 tx2 raid controller. i have two maxtor 120gig hdds connected to it. the bios on the controller is up to date as is the drivers. the drivers and bios on my mobo are pretty up to date.... im fixing to check to make sure there arent newer ones. my write speeds (as reported by ATTO Benchmark) is very slow. i read something i found through a google search about the nvidia nforce boards having some probs with pci controllers. heres the link to what i read http://tech-report.com/news_reply.x/3675/4/ . do any of you know any more about this or what could cause the prob. my benchmarking results are below.

thanks for the help.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_003.gif
    ScreenHunter_003.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 166

4W4K3

VIP Member
have u defragged your hd lately? that could be a reason. also the NF7 boards (dont know what revision you have) are picky sometimes with RAID. i suggest NOT using the ABIT bios if you are set on using RAID. they never really fixed anything for RAID. suggest TIC TAC BIOS for your board from HERE i have used tic tac before and they work great. find one with a raid capability fixed...there are lots. hope that helps.

noremacyug

Woot!!! got it all taken care of now. called abit, that didnt help. but, then i called promise and it took two different calls but the second time around the dude told me to install the utility that came with it, change some settings and it actually worked. i is a happy person now.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
have u defragged your hd lately? that could be a reason
In reality, defragmentation rarely provides an improvement over 10% (most cases ~3%-7%)

also the NF7 boards (dont know what revision you have) are picky sometimes with RAID
Damn... kinda dissapointed to hear that. The A7V line of boards also had that same kinda problem, my RAID controller on the A7V333 failed on me. It's not really the fault of the mobo but rather that Promise isnt the greatest company in the world when controllers go.

ive got an nf7 mobo with a promise fastrak100 tx2 raid controller.
Sounds like the same one on my A7V333 ... a decent controller if you can get it to work for extended periods of time reliably but as I said above, Promise isnt the best company when controllers are an issue.

ok I suggest a different board
99% of mobos with onboard RAID (probably 100% but ill leave it at 99% with no exceptions to date to my knowledge) use Promise RAID controllers... and the same one in fact so it wouldnt do too much good.

then I called promise and it took two different calls but the second time around the dude told me to install the utility that came with it, change some settings and it actually worked.
Aint that a charm? ;-)