No dial tone from new modem

Grimulus

i bought an OEM modem for a lady so she could get on the net. No drivers came with it so the site has a link to the drivers.
the modem is a U.S. Robotics 3094.
downloaded the win 2k/xp 3094.
extracted it, burned it to a cd and ran setup. windows found my modem as what it was but when i try to connect i get no dial tone...so i hook the phone line up to the comp i'm on right now and everything is peachy...why would i now have a dial tone? the modem is communicating with the computer, you can hear it click on when i try to connect.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
If the line is ok, just the modem don't pick up the dial tone, then try disabling the dial tone detection of your modem: in the Phone and Modem Options, Modem tab, click Properties on the modem, then on the Modem tab, click to clear the Wait for dial tone before dialing check box.

Grimulus

Lorand said:
If the line is ok, just the modem don't pick up the dial tone, then try disabling the dial tone detection of your modem: in the Phone and Modem Options, Modem tab, click Properties on the modem, then on the Modem tab, click to clear the Wait for dial tone before dialing check box.

aye..it always is something simple but I never seem to think of that. it works now...thank you for the help.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
But if you want that the modem do wait for the dialing tone (it's recommended if you have delays in getting the dialing tone), then you should enter the correct Country/region in the regional settings in the Dialing Rules (at the Phone and Modem Options).

Mikelb

Hey man, I really appreciate your help... I was having the same problem... I was working on a computer for a client and the modem works fine... I even changed it out like 4 times... and no hardware/software conflicts... you can hear modem pick up but it wouldn't ever detect the dial tone... I am currently at work (I'm a PC Tech)... and I will try this when I get home.... but I believe this to be the problem, as I know that these settings are incorrect....

Thanx again...