NO Display !!!

Fred

Hi Everyone

I've got an old Dell XPS D300 which I'm using to play around but I've just lost all display on it !

The computer is starting normally (or seems to as I can't see anything !!!), the monitor is working (tested with my other computer), and I've even tried to replace the graphic card with a spare one I had but... Nothing ! There isn't even a signal going to the monitor !!

Would anyone know where it can come from and is it fixable ?

Thanks in advance !

Fred

The Hitman

Video Issue

Hi Fred. I'm not an IT, but it sounds like the other video card is fried too or perhaps it is not compatible. I would suggest getting another video card that you know is compatible (like one from Dell) If that does not work, chances are your motherboard may be defective.

Rick G

You may want to check the cable and connectors as I've seen then get a bit dirty or corrode just enough to lose connectivity. Clean the pins and sockets and retry. If nothing else it eliminates one possibility.

Fred

I guys

Thanks for your answers !

Well, I've tried to replace the graphic card with another one from another similar Dell PC which I know is working, but without any success and I've also checked all the connections but without any success either ! I can "hear" the PC booting but it just doen't show anything on the screen !!!!

I've even tried to provisionally disconnect most of the hardwares (DVD drive, Zip drive, Floppy and removed all the unnessacary PCI cards (modem, sound card) to see if it could cause any intererences, but still....nothing !

So I suppose I'm just gone have to scavenge what left in it which is good and put the rest in the bin..

Thanks again
Fred

Fred

HI

Yeah, but it means that I've got to find (or invest) in a PCI card as I haven't got one and I'm not sure that it's really worth it !!!

The guy at my local computer shop told me that it's most likely that the processor is dead ??? Stange then that it's still booting. Can a computer boot without the processor ???
He also told me that it might be worth trying to flash the BIOS as I didn't have anything to loose anyhow! But I'm not sure how to do that so if anybody's got any suggestion, I won't mind giving that a go !

Cheers

Fred

Rick G

Several things come to mind, they all should be fairly easy.
1. Take the tower or desktop to a repair shop and let them try a PCI card in it.
2. Visit the Dell site and there should be instructions how to flash your bios. That is if it's not too old.
3. Visit the Dell site and find how to clear your cmos amd reboot. This is usually a jumper on the mother board that needs to be moved to a different position with ALL power off, unplug the computer, change the setting, let it sit for a couple of minutes, reinstall the jumper baack to it's original position and restart the computer.
4. Take out the little quarter shaped battery and replace it. Radio shack may have the battery.
5. Try booting with the Operating system disc installed.

The most probable cause is the battery, they can last UP TO 5 years but can go out or lose power before that. The power supply can also reduce it's output over time.
Hope some of this may help, at least ther'e all cheap fixes.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
you should still be able to see something on your screen, even if the processor is dead. so i would rule that out. it's most likely a problem with the motherboard its self.

Valka

i think ita a PCI card too (i have a PCI card on my PIII that XP work for few minutes)

Rick G

have you tried a different monitor on your system?
So far
1 CPU ok
2. vid crd ok
3. wires ok
4. mobo ok?
5. PSU ok?
may be a bad driver but you might be able to tell using a different monitor and see if it works, if it does, bad driver.

Fred

Hi

Yes, I've tried a different monitor on it, if fact I even tried two different one, but no luck there. The PSU and connection are OK as all the hardware are getting their power and seem to be booting on startup.

I think I've tried everything that I could tried , even replaced the BIOS battery, the only think I can think of, is either the CPU or the Mobo. But, I've got no means to check them out.

Anyway, I've giving up on it, I'm gone keep some parts for spare and throw the rest away.

Thanks all for your suggestions !

Fred