not a virus, but PC does not start

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by deskreverse, Aug 8, 2006.

1. deskreverse

deskreverse banned

Hi,
    I have windows 2000 on my PC. I would give specifications of the PC but I don't think that it's required for the question that I have. This problem happened spontaneously a few days ago. When I turn on the pc it proceeds until the windows 2000 welcome page (with the white background, right before the desktop loads) opens. On that page there is a bar that fills up in a few seconds (blue) and as soon as the whole bar is blue I can see the desktop and start using my computer. But the problem that randomly started to occur is that when the time bar is completed (all blue) it freezes and I can't procede. I repeated the process so many times, but it freezes at that exact point. So I took out the hard drive and put it on another pc and it worked fine that way. So now I know that the problem isn't the hard drive and it must be something else in the motherboard. Could someone please help me fix this, I really need the computer.
    Thank you so much,
    Bobby

2. Burgerbob

Burgerbob New Member

How about you do give your specs, they might help.

3. The_Other_One

The_Other_One VIP Member

Take your Windows 2000 disk and run the restore option. That typically can fix problems like you're having.

4. Mattu

Mattu Member

Yeah is the computer that you put the hard drive in faster and/or have more memory (RAM) then the one that you took it out of? That maybe why it starts up in that one.

5. thealmightyone

thealmightyone New Member

Have you tried connecting the hard drive to another port on your motherboard?

6. deskreverse

deskreverse banned

The thing is though, as I said, the PC was working fine until 2 days ago. It just happened out of nowhere. There was no change (that I can think of) in or around the computer.

7. H-Bomb

H-Bomb New Member

Post your specs and we might be able to help you.