OC'ing E6300

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, I don't really know if I should OC my CPU, You see, I'm the type of person that worries too much!

I bought my E6300 recently and it's still in it's 3 year warranty.

I know that OC'ing voids this warranty too, I don't know if it's worth it?

Would there be a significant performance increase, would I notice it?

I'm trying to way up the cons and pros. :confused: :(

wizle

IMO you should wait until you are ready to up grade then you have that 6 mth grace period where you can really spin that puppy, then with all the old parts you are replacing you build someone real nice rig for a few $ :D

Oh and thanks for the help with my hp pavillion the grand kids love it

Last edited:

hermeslyre

VIP Member
As long as you know what your doing there is no cons IMO. There are a ton of pros however, Running games better, faster system, getting the performance of a more expensive chip for free. Just read up on it beforehand, make sure you know what your doing.

Kornowski

VIP Member
IMO you should wait until you are ready to up grade then you have that 6 mth grace period where you can really spin that puppy, then with all the old parts you are replacing you build someone real nice rig for a few $

Oh and thanks for the help with my hp pavillion the grand kids love it

I won't be upgrading for aaaages.

You're welcome :)

As long as you know what your doing there is no cons IMO. There are a ton of pros however, Running games better, faster system, getting the performance of a more expensive chip for free. Just read up on it beforehand, make sure you know what your doing.

I don't know what I'm doing :eek:
I've never done it before, I don't know if it needs the extra though.

Kornowski

VIP Member
It's Ok, yeah, I'm adding a 80mm fan to the front, I have two 80mm on the side and an 80mm on the back.

My idle temp is 34c.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
You could always use the extra Boost:) However i wouldn't recommend overclocking yet if you wouldn't need it. Are there any games that you can't play on max? Any games you get lag on? Do you want a quicker boot time/faster multitasking? All questions you have to ask yourself.

Ocing your 7900gs is easier and would result in a larger FPS jump though it obviously wouldn't affect your system as a whole.

Kornowski

VIP Member
You could always use the extra Boost However i wouldn't recommend overclocking yet if you wouldn't need it. Are there any games that you can't play on max? Any games you get lag on? Do you want a quicker boot time/faster multitasking? All questions you have to ask yourself.

Ocing your 7900gs is easier and would result in a larger FPS jump though it obviously wouldn't affect your system as a whole.

Well, the only game I haven't been able to run on max smoothly is Cellfacrot :( Then again, it is really demanding, I know people with E6600's and 8800GTS that still struggle and get 10fps.

Again, the card would be in it's warranty, would there be a huge gain there? I think the XFX cards come factory OC'ed.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes overclock it! Who cares about the warranty, you wont have that processor for 3 years anyways :p

g4m3rof1337

I've been wanting to OC my e6300 and 7900GS for awhile.

I'd go for it.
I will be soon.
Once I buy a better cpu cooler and gpu cooler and add the 80mm exhaust on the top of my case.

Rambo

Kornowski: http://www.computerforum.com/55017-my-allendale-overclock.html (in that thread, you will see I took the processor to 3.5Ghz @ 40*C with stock cooling)

You should have a read through that topic. It was basically my experience throughout the whole overclocking procedure. Same board too.

I can provide you with help and information in which settings you should change. If you're going to overclock it - take it to 2.8Ghz. It's a nice round number, and keeps the RAM @ 400Mhz (800Mhz dual channel).

All I can say is you should do it. You'll be getting a whole load more performance for your money, a cool new experience, and it's pretty fun too :p Nothing will go wrong as long as you know what you're doing.

- Rambo.

g4m3rof1337

Rambo, I might ask you for some help. But I dont want to over do it, since you just helped me with something that was a bit tricky. Lol.

PabloTeK

Actually Rambo it ain't dual channel but dual data rate:p

Anyway, if you want to overclock, go for it and if the chip does die it's very hard to prove an overclock because if you put the chip in a new box then it runs at standard settings. Althpugh I'd get some thermal paste as yours is runnng a bit hot. Mine idles at around 22-25 centigrade for example.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks Rambo, thats a lot of help right there!

Are you sure nothing can go wrong? I think IF I was to do it, I'd buy a new heatsink and fan, one that wouldn't require me taking the motherboard out, and isn't expensive, any suggestions?

Thanks a lot guys! :)

garethcia

banned
Don't OC it. Warranty is a good thing and is highly recommended you stick to the rules of it.

If something goes wrong you don't pay 4 the replacement hehe

Hope this helps

PabloTeK

And I shall correct you one step further by saying that DDR is actually Double Data Rate. :p

Oi:p

Anyway, many of the better coolers require the motherboard to be removed to fit a bracket. However the Scythe Mine doesn't seem to need one.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I dunno if it's been mentioned in a link but to overclock your 7900 you will need to download either Coolbits or Ntune, then head over to the Nvidia control panel , or start ntune, and hit the overclocking tab. From there you should try a large jump on the Core or mem clock (20-30mhz) then test the change, if it's accepted try a smaller jump and test. Keep doing this till the settings aren't accepted, dial the clock back till it is and start on the other clock. Just a warning ntune seems to be alittle bitchy with the stability test.. Coolbits accepted my settings but ntune didn't. I played a couple games and didn't run into any problems so...

If you are really into it you can try a pencil volt mod (google it).. It will up the voltage a tiny bit allowing for a higher overclock. I myself don't do it, I just thought you might like to know your options. :)

Rambo

I dunno if it's been mentioned in a link but to overclock your 7900 you will need to download either Coolbits or Ntune, then head over to the Nvidia control panel , or start ntune, and hit the overclocking tab. From there you should try a large jump on the Core or mem clock (20-30mhz) then test the change, if it's accepted try a smaller jump and test. Keep doing this till the settings aren't accepted, dial the clock back till it is and start on the other clock. Just a warning ntune seems to be alittle bitchy with the stability test.. Coolbits accepted my settings but ntune didn't. I played a couple games and didn't run into any problems so...

If you are really into it you can try a pencil volt mod (google it).. It will up the voltage a tiny bit allowing for a higher overclock. I myself don't do it, I just thought you might like to know your options. :)

Or you can edit the graphics card bios and reflash it with the overclocked entries. This is good, because it no longer requires any software to be run at startup in order to overclock it. Also, if you then go into other operating systems, it remains overclocked (can be seen as a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it).

curtains

i couldn't be bothered readin everything ... but I say overclock it ... why wait untill u need the extra performance, ... you'll just be missing out on extra performance you coulda got ages ago .. these CPU's (C2D) overclock very well .. on average like 3.0ghz .. I have a E6400 overclocked to 3.2ghz .. as long as you have good cooling it should be fine ... I havent uped the voltage ... and my I'd tempture is 28 degrees C .. and at load its around 40