Odd Display Problem

Kalasin

About a week ago, my display began acting funny. Whenever something black appears on the screen, dark shadows extend horizontally across the screen. The thicker the original black, the darker the 'shadow'. The main issue is with text, but the problem extends to the point of affecting the Windows98 splash screen, with "Windows98" being framed by a dingy blue bar (instead of just blue). And even the dark lines in the start menu system create shadows (so it's not just text). It doesn't matter where the dark area comes from, internet, wordprocessor, wherever.... everything casts a shadow if it's in the dark end of the spectrum.

I thought it was the monitor, but when I got a replacement, the problem wasn't fixed.

I tried booting in safe mode... still shadow bars.

I can't even imagine what's wrong. The computer runs fine and I wasn't doing anything differently when the problem began.

Help, suggestions, please?

~Kalasin

Attached: jpg _recreation_ of what I see on the monitor. When i capture the screen image and look at it on a different computer, the bars are _not_ present. (possibly meaning it's a graphics card issue? *clueless*)

Attachments

• wierd_display.jpg
    wierd_display.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 679

linus

Odd display problem?

I now have this problem of horizontal grey streaks or shadows running through lines of text on a white background as you did. Did you find a solution to this problem or can anyone else in this forum help me?
Thanks