On a level of 1-10, what is your skill level with computers?

ADE

banned
OK, I always see new members come and go, but this thread is just to help us and others. For example, say a new member joins, they come here, rate their skill level and then we know if we as "veterans" should speak with a simple yet descriptive manor, or if there well learned and know : abbreviations, technical words, complex instructions, terms, assumed knowledge of understanding specification, knowledge of quality or crappy stuff, low need to further elaborate on subjects, have good knowledge of how things like a GPU or CPU work in depth, etc.

1 = need a full explanation
10 = just give me an answer and I know what to do with it

Not only just the new members, but just be honest and say what you think you are (10 also = know how a GPU works and how it decodes, creates an image, how it determines a pixel's place within the monitors picture that is displayed, how it is given data and how it processes it etc (not just GPUs though)- basically, it says you know just about how everything in a computer and how everything in it works to the material it is used and why that material is used for it- its kinda like saying if you wanted to you could build you own CPU if you were given the materials needed to make it.

I think I about a 6.

Geoff

VIP Member
I'd say 8-9. I can solve pretty much any hardware or software issue when it comes to desktop and laptops. I'm not as eduacted right now in networking and servers, however I am taking courses right now which will educate me more in those areas.

ADE

banned
And just to let everyone know, I don't just mean PC, I mean MAC, Linux, etc. (only goes for if your a 10)

Geoff

VIP Member
And just to let everyone know, I don't just mean PC, I mean MAC, Linux, etc. (only goes for if your a 10)

I should also note that I am fairly knowledgable in the Mac OS and a few Linux distros. I'm more toward the 8 if you want to only have a single number.

The_Beast

3-4 i know all the parts needed. what to do but not in networking, OS, all the cables needed the little stuff that i can ask all you guys.

Redbull{wings}

id say 5 or 6 as im still learning more detailed how it works but ive worked with windows and linux and even some mac at my schools and i understand a lot

34erd

Honestly... I'd say a 1. Compared to some of the experts out there I know nothing, I can do basic stuff by myself but thats it...

Using your skill range and what everyone else is saying I'd say a 6.

Not only just the new members, but just be honest and say what you think you are (10 also = know how a GPU works and how it decodes, creates an image, how it determines a pixel's place within the monitors picture that is displayed, how it is given data and how it processes it etc (not just GPUs though)- basically, it says you know just about how everything in a computer and how everything in it works to the material it is used and why that material is used for it- its kinda like saying if you wanted to you could build you own CPU if you were given the materials needed to make it.
Well thats what I mean... no offence to people here, but very few of us actually know a great deal about low-level hardware and software. As for building my own CPU... well, it's not as simple as that... give me a fab plant and a thousand or so workers and maybe ;)

Last edited:

ADE

banned
Yeah, in order to really know how do do that you would need to be in every honors class from junior high-high school so you can qualify for a school that you can take the class (and get a scholarship) and take that class for about 7-8 years....that's do it......

Geoff

VIP Member
Honestly... I'd say a 1. Compared to some of the experts out there I know nothing, I can do basic stuff by myself but thats it...

Using your skill range and what everyone else is saying I'd say a 6.

Well thats what I mean... no offence to people here, but very few of us actually know a great deal about low-level hardware and software. As for building my own CPU... well, it's not as simple as that... give me a fab plant and a thousand or so workers and maybe ;)

I completly agree with you. But when I saw that his 10 was "give me an answer, and I can figure it out", I think im pretty close to that (8). :rolleyes:

Now if were talking 1 being the average person who only knows how to open Word, 5 being Bill Gates, and 10 being the Einstein of computers, I would say i'm around a 3.

Motoxrdude

It is really hard to answer this question. Compared to some people you would be a 10, and to others a 1. I would say I am about a 2-3. Some kids at my school make praetor look dumb, seriously, these dudes are insane.