Opinion on upgrading laptop or buying new system???

redwolf21x

I have a 5 year old Compaq Presario 1277 laptop with Windows 98, 64 MB of RAM, 433 mHz processor. There is nothing wrong with it, other than it runs a little slow. My question is, is it worth it to buy the $50 worth of extra memory and possibly upgrade to XP...or just invest in a new system? Is upgrading the processor worth it either??? Thanks for any help anyone can give...

redwolf21x

thank you both...i was pretty sure about just getting a new system...its just cheaper to upgrade the old! but not always worth it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
why not getting averatec 3200 like I have...
Well for starters, the Averatc3200 makes use of the now aging AthlonXP line of chips... you're probably better off with an Intel book if you want to take that route: more power and more battery life at a comparable price. If you want performance and versatility, A64 books can be had :)

redwolf21x

What I'm really looking for is a good performance notebook, at a low price...but who isn't, right?

I don't really need the top of the line stuff, I do want XP, CD-RW, DVD, fast processor, lots of RAM...the Averatecs had very small screens 12.1"...I would want something slightly bigger than that...my price range would only be up to about $1000...Best Buy had some good deals on Compaqs, which is what I have now, and I've never had any major problem with them...any other thoughts?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really need the top of the line stuff, I do want XP, CD-RW, DVD, fast processor, lots of RAM...the Averatecs had very small screens 12.1"...I would want something slightly bigger than that...my price range would only be up to about $1000...
You'll probably want to try to hit up the lower Centrino books ... if you go AMD you'll probably be using a Thoroughbred Mobile which isnt that great (Barton Mobiles do exist but typically outside of the $1000USD bracket).

Also note that the smaller the screen the longer the battery life :) As for brands, have a look also at Acer :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest there isnt really such a thing as "best" laptop bread :) As for "what laptop you use", I'd say most people with laptops nowadays use Compaq/Hp/Dell books