Opinions on Toshiba

Chris Hohne

I am in the market for a laptop and am looking for some thoughts/opinions. I'm new to this forum, but it looked like a good place to get some information and feedback.

I am starting a new job and I'm looking for a laptop to take on the road. I don't need top-of-the-line stuff. I'm basically needing a laptop to check e-mails, do some light word processing, and light spreadsheet activity. I might also watch an occassional DVD. I need standard wireless connectivity (802.11b) that will work in hotels, etc.

The only requirement I have is XP Professional - my work says I need it. Other than that I'm pretty flexible.

Couple of questions - 1) do I need 512K RAM? 2)is 64 meg enough video RAM? 3) is XGA screen pretty good or should I upgrade?

I am looking at the Toshiba A65-1065. It seems to have what I need and the price is pretty good (current rebate offer). Is this a good machine that would fit my needs? Any other suggestions in the $1,000 - $1,300 range?

Thanks
Chris Hohne

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member

kb1ghc

I can tell you that toshiba laptops are really good, and last a long time, i have a toshiba 486, and my friend (who i bought it from) still has a bunch of them, all of them still work

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm for a system costing $1350CAD ... i dunno... kinda a tough call but a couple things do bring the system down from it's initial impression:
- NorthwoodB ... an obsolete (and officially discontinued) line of processors (hell even some of the new 800MHz chips are gonna be discontinued). Performance-wise you'll probably want a Centrino but I dunno if that's gonnna be happening in that price bracket, Centrino's typically kick in at $1500CAD
- 64MB Radeon7000 non-dedicated. This one hurts the team especially from a gaming perspective. (which means your system only really has 448MB of RAM)

That said, looking at your requirements I would think this laptop suits you quite well and the pricing isnt too shabby at all :) Go for it (unless you can find a cheaper one)