Opinions Please

Kornowski

VIP Member
Hey Guys / Gals,

I need your opinions on this:

As you all know Socket A (462) CPU's are OLD!
Especially the 2400+ :p

Anyway, I'm upgrading and I've come up with this, it'll allow me to use most of the stuff I already have:

New

MOBO: ASRock LGA775 DUAL-VISTA

CPU: Intel E6300

Current, Going to be used on new build

2 x 512mb PNY RAM

ATI X850 Pro AGP

WD 40GB IDE HDD

Antec Earthwatts 380watt

In total it'll cost me about £130, not too bad.

So, what do you think?

daisymtc

1) I personally not like ASRock M/B.
2) the M/B you chose not support E6300
3) What type of RAM did you have? If it is DDR 400, you could use this M/B. If it is DDR 333 or under, I think it would be better for you to save the money to build a new PC

Basicly, I will say your current PC not worth upgrading

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i definatly say go ahead and upgrade...thats what i was gonna do purchase that mobo and cpu and use my existing parts but a C2D alongside an old radeon 9600 just doesnt seem right lol.

Im just gonna save and build a compleate new system,Because that mobo will only let you upgrade to a PCI-e x4 card :(

daisymtc

i definatly say go ahead and upgrade...thats what i was gonna do purchase that mobo and cpu and use my existing parts but a C2D alongside an old radeon 9600 just doesnt seem right lol.

Im just gonna save and build a compleate new system,Because that mobo will only let you upgrade to a PCI-e x4 card :(

The reason of not upgrade the current is:
1) He probably only got DDR RAM. Will need to buy DDR2 for the latest M/B
2) AGP graphic card is updated now. Most M/B support. PCI-E x 16
3) 40GB ATA HDD is a bit slow and small. May need to buy a SATA one.
4) Not sure if 380 W PSU enough.

Then consider all these, it seems to me there is no difference to build a new computer as all major compenent need to be changed.

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
1) I personally not like ASRock M/B.
2) the M/B you chose not support E6300
3) What type of RAM did you have? If it is DDR 400, you could use this M/B. If it is DDR 333 or under, I think it would be better for you to save the money to build a new PC

Basicly, I will say your current PC not worth upgrading

It does support an Intel E6300, It's an LGA775 socket.

I have PC2700, 333.

The MOBO I have stated takes both DDR and DDR2 RAM, just not at the same time.

I was told by Ceweei1 that it would be enough for a core 2.

daisymtc

It does support an Intel E6300, It's an LGA775 socket.

I have PC2700, 333.

The MOBO I have stated takes both DDR and DDR2 RAM, just not at the same time.

I was told by Ceweei1 that it would be enough for a core 2.

I have just look into the spec. from newegg, basiclly it say it support Pentium D / Pentium 4 HT / Celeron D. :p
But then I find out the spec in Asrock .com, they do say it support C2D:rolleyes:

daisymtc

To be honest, not sure if your computer worth upgrading as you plan.
Because I am not sure if your machine could ocing well after upgrade.
The reason most people choose C2D is its ability of ocing, you may be able to use the cpu, but somehow you 'waste' it.
As we all know, once new technology coming, the old one will get cheaper.
So, my opinion is not upgrade it if the old other hardware's (e.g. GPU: PCI-E x16, HDD-SATAII, RAM-DDR2) format is not compatible. Save it until having reasonable amount of money, like $1000 and get a new one. And I tends to buy a middle range PC and use it for 4-5 years, since the technology is changing so fast.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i say it would be a great upgrade....especialy considering it wont cost all that much realy to upgade it to a C2D.

But in the long run i also think it would be much better to just save for a whole new pc realy...i know your probably thinking it would take forever to save up for one but just keep saving and saving.

Last edited:

Ben

VIP Member
i say it would be a great upgrade....especialy considering it wont cost all that much realy to upgade it to a C2D.

But in the long run i also think it would be much better to just save for a whole new pc realy...i know your probably thinking it would take forever to save up for one but just keep saving and saving.

I'm gonna go with Nevakonaza over here, I think he's right, sure it would be nice to upgrade now, but if you waited, you could get so much more out of it. Think about it. New graphics card. ;)

It is your decision though, if you want to upgrade now. That's fine too, just trying to help.

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
My GPU isn't that bad at the moment and I'm sure it'll be Ok for a little while more.

The board takes DDR2 RAM, So I can get that in the future, it also take my current DDR RAM, So I have time to save up.

It has a PCI-e slot, x 4 though, but apparently you won't notice a difference.

I'm finding it hard enough to persuade my parents to let me do this upgrade, never mind a whole new computer.

Ben

VIP Member
My GPU isn't that bad at the moment and I'm sure it'll be Ok for a little while more.

The board takes DDR2 RAM, So I can get that in the future, it also take my current DDR RAM, So I have time to save up.

It has a PCI-e slot, x 4 though, but apparently you won't notice a difference.

I'm finding it hard enough to persuade my parents to let me do this upgrade, never mind a whole new computer.

Why wouldn't your parents let you do the upgrade?

Kornowski

VIP Member
They don't like me 'wasting' my money on my computer, especially after I have juct bought this new motherboard, the one I have now.

They don't really know that much about computers so they think that a computer goes out of date so quick and I upgrade it everytime something new comes out, which I don't.

I'd like to fully up-grade, but I think that getting the MOBO I'm looking at will let me upgrade gradually.

Ben

VIP Member
Ah, sounds very similar to my problem, except it's with my friends. A lot of my friends think it's waste of money to spend even $500 on a computer or just parts. They just don't have the love and care of computers like we do. :p

b3rt_d4ni3l

Ah, sounds very similar to my problem, except it's with my friends. A lot of my friends think it's waste of money to spend even $500 on a computer or just parts. They just don't have the love and care of computers like we do. :p

and yet people grumble when the comp they use is slow...

Ben

VIP Member

Tru dat. And most of my friends are always askin me for help on their computers. Always gettin some nasty virus on it or something like that. But I'm not gonna get off topic here. Not my place.

daisymtc

I remember I use my friend's machine last week. It is so slow!!
He use norton, which is famous as using up lots of resource. And keep program running automatically when start up!
Really hate it.

salman

If you can just try and save up for a better MOBO (I like Abit motherboards) and get a new graphics card PCI-E x16, DDR2 RAM, and an E6300,(whole new comp basically)< This will probably be a more worthwhile upgrade, rather than trying to upgrade part by part slowly just so you can get a Core 2 Duo. Saving up may take a while but I reckon its worth waitng a year and when you have more money see what's available to buy then.

Thats just my opinion.